Star Trek U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 & Captain James T. Kirk Coins

The Perth Mint of Australia has started accepting orders for the first two coins in a new officially licensed series featuring famous captains and starships from Star Trek.

The ten coin series will include five captains and five starship or space station coins from Star Trek The Original Series, Star Trek The Next Generation, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, Star Trek Voyager, and Star Trek Enterprise. The first two coins of the series feature Captain James T. Kirk and the Enterprise NCC-1701 from Star Trek The Original Series.

captain-kirk

The first coin features a color image of William Shatner as Captain James Tiberius Kirk against a representation of the U.S.S. Enterprise and the inscription “CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK”.

enterprise coin

The second coin is representative of the the United Federation of Planets’ logo and portrays a color image of the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 flying through space with the inscription ” STAR TREK THE ORIGINAL SERIES U.S.S. ENTERPRISE NCC-1701″.

The obverse of each coin contains the Ian Rank Broadley effigy of Queen Elizabeth II with the “2015” date and legal tender denomination as issued under the authority of the government of Tuvalu.

Each coin is struck in 1 troy ounce of 99.9% pure silver to proof quality. The coins are offered individually with a product limit of 5,000 pieces each within individual packaging from an overall maximum mintage of 6,500 pieces. A two coin set is available with an issue limit of 1,500 pieces.

The individual coins are presented in a Star Trek inspired case. The two coin set is packaged in a case designed to look like a Star Trek transporter. Each coin or set is accompanied by a numbered certificate of authenticity.

Please visit the Perth Mint product page for additional information or to place an order.

TM & © 2015 CBS Studios Inc. STAR TREK and related marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

1. Ends in Error says

Egads what da hales? This sort of stuff reminds me of when they were pushing painted Dinner Plates as ” investments”. These painted up “coins” are exactly like mini Dinner Plates.

The end of the Coin mania is upon us. They are trying to throw all types of garbage at us now.

What next , coins shaped like thimbels, buttons, match books, and pin back political buttons?

2. Tom P. - MA says

I agree. I avoid 99% of all painted and plated coins.

If memory serves I think these were selling for close to $100 today on Apmex. Once these drop to close to bullion value, and they eventually will, I may show some interest.

Those are already there EIE…Just trying to find the people that “Collect”…At least they have some intrinsic value i.e. PM’s…But you don’t want the blue led light to come on and shine behind your coin when you open it up? I would love that! Question is, how much am I willing to pay for it?

4. Tinto says

If this sells out, wouldn’t be surprised to see the rest of the crew follow, perhaps characters from some of the episodes as well.

5. Koichi Ito says

Which coin was first have Star Trek on reverse side? What mint first minted Star Trek silver and gold coins? When was ifirst Star Trek coins was released?

6. Frankie says

Don’t get me wrong, Koichi, but why don’t you do a little research yourself and post your findings here than asking questions all the time you could find the answers to yourself?
    The point of a blog like this is to share your opinion and to contribute.

@CW, from what I hear there is a new process where the enamel is being incorporated into the minting process and the color is struck into the coin and will never be removed or fade…interesting..
    @Frankie: I agree, his English is a bit bad but he ALWAYS asks questions here instead of sharing what he found out like “The first Start Trek coin was minted #$%^&*….”

From what I hear CBS has never authorized a coin to be struck using the Star Trek logo or likeness..Could be wrong..

9. gatortreke says

@fmtransmitter:

Interesting if true because the coins themselves have the TM and copyright declaration on them relative to CBS. If this is not accurate, I would have thought CBS would have filed some type of legal filing to halt the release of the coins until the issue was settled.

I purchased two of the USS Enterprise coins, one for a buddy and one for me. I’m not too concerned whether it appreciates or not, bought it because I like it. Don’t really like the Kirk design so I didn’t buy it.

While some of you might have a point regarding long term value, the main reason to buy coins like this is for fun. I didn’t pick these particular pieces up, but outside of the Perth Mint Lunars, I’ve always known most of these one-offs had substantial risk attached.

Buy and have fun!

This is a new 10-coin series, not a one-off. And the 2 coin sets have jumped to $300 even though you can get the individual coins for $100 or less.