Perth Mint 2015 Gold and Silver Bullion Coin Designs

The Perth Mint of Australia has unveiled the revere design artistry for their range of 2015-dated gold and silver bullion coins. Each program features annually rotating reverse designs, which provides collectors and investors with a new appearance for each issue of the series. The popularity of certain designs, combined with mintage limitations, sometimes creates premiums for certain bullion issues well above intrinsic value.

All of the following coins are struck in .9999 fine gold or .999 fine silver across a range of different sizes. The obverse design for each series features the Ian Rank-Broadley effigy of Queen Elizabeth II.

2015 Year of the Goat Silver Coin

Australian Lunar Series II
2015 Year of the Goat Silver Bullion Coins

The reverse design depicts a family of goats standing within a stylized rural scene. The Chinese character for “Goat” appears above with “Year of the Goat” below. The coins are available in 1/2 oz, 1 oz, 2 oz, 5 oz, 10 oz, 1 kilo, and 10 kilo sizes featuring the same design. Maximum mintages of 300,000 1 oz coins and 150 10 kilo coins have been established. The release date is September 1, 2014.

2015 Year of the Goat Gold Coin

Australian Lunar Series II
2015 Year of the Goat Gold Bullion Coins

The design depicts an adult male goat standing on a ridge in a stylized mountain scene. The Chinese character for “Goat” is incorporated and the words “Year of the Goat” appear at the base. The coins are available in 1/20 oz, 1/10 oz, 1/4 oz, 1/2 oz, 1 oz, 2 oz, 10 oz, and 1 kilo sizes all carrying the same design. A maximum mintage of 30,000 applies to the 1 oz size. The official release date is September 1, 2014.

2015 Australian Silver Kookaburra

2015 Australian Kookaburra Silver Bullion Coins

The Perth Mint will celebrate 25 years of the Australian Kookaburra bullion coin series by using the original coin design from 1990. An adult kookaburra is depicted sitting on a tree stump surrounded by eucalyptus leaves and a fern. The dual date of “1990-2015” and a “P25” mint mark are used to celebrate the milestone for the series. Available sizes will include 1 oz, 10 oz, and 1 kilo coins all bearing the same design. A maximum mintage of 500,000 pieces applies to the 1 oz size. The official release date will be September 1, 2014.

2015 Australian Silver Koala

2015 Australian Koala Silver Bullion Coins

The Australian Koala series reaches its ninth year of issue with a design depicting an adult koala sitting in a tree with an Australian bush landscape in the background. The available sizes for the coin are 1/2 oz, 1 oz, 10 oz, and 1 kilo. There are no maximum mintages imposed, although production will close at the end of 2015 when each coin’s official mintage will be declared. The official release date for the program will be November 3, 2014.

The Perth Mint indicates that the 10 oz size will carry a new finish. Based on images, it looks like a uniformly frosted appearance rather than the reverse proof style used for other bullion coins.

2015 Australian Gold Kangaroo

2015 Australian Kangaroo Gold Bullion Coins

The new design for the Australian Kangaroo series features a depiction of a bounding kangaroo as it crosses the Australian outback with the moon in the background. This design appears on the 1/10 oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz, and 1/10 oz sizes. The classic red kangaroo design by Dr. Stuart Devlin AO CMG is used for the 1 kilo size release. Maximum mintages have been established at 200,000 1/10 oz coins, 150,000 1/4 oz coins, and 100,000 1/2 oz coins. The official release date will be October 6, 2014.

Comments

I was a little dubious about whether they’d be able to make an attractive-looking coin for the goat (not the most inspiring animal the way a dragon, tiger, or even a horse is), but they made a valiant effort this year. The silver coin looks pretty great. Wasn’t too impressed with the gold coin.

The kookaburra also seems exceptionally good again this year. I’ve been quite happy with how the last few of those have turned out.

I will be in for the usual proof, typeset, and high relief coin, though I have to wonder how many others around here will be. Seems like a lot of the excitement around the Perth Lunars has drained away since the good old days of “dragon mania.”

I’m in for the HR Kook! Always! Love those and hope they do the same 25 year design for the HR? Do we know if that will be done?

So far Gainesville seems to have the best pre-order prices for these. If anyone sees a better deal, please advise.

@ CO – I also had similar concerns about how the goat would be portrayed. And, the pre-production pictures I have seen for similar offerings from other mints and manufacturers had not lessened my worries. I do agree that Perth’s Silver artwork seems to be the best so far. Definitely in for the HR version and will try to chase the 3-coin PR Set.

@ Louis – Took delivery of my RAM order today. The Orion coin is quite nice and well struck, but I think Crux still has the best use of coloring for contrast. The Mob of Roos HR Anny coin has great eye appeal. The surprise winner, though, is the Victoria Cross UNC Silver coin. Great design with subtle engravings and multiple finishes. Even though it is issued on a card, the capsule is, in fact, a sealed, hard acrylic capsule rather than the typical thin plastic “blister” covering that never protects the integrity of the coin. 7K total Mintage. Might want to take another look.

Thanks, VAB. And glad you enjoyed that crazy video. I will definitely think about the cross. I kind of forgot about it after I forgot to enter for the bronze version lottery. That one was a big winner because they are hard to get. I have the mob of roos and like it. I am waiting on a couple Orions from APMEX for $100 each. They should be shipping in about 5 days. Finally, my order from the RM shipped at the beginning of the week and I even got the tracking #, but it does not track yet. Lately I have found even packages sent by other countries’ postal services will often track at least once they are close. I should try it in the Royal Mail system.
    Can’t wait to see the 5 oz HR Britannia proof. If money fell from the sky, I would have used some for the double sovereign, but you gotta enjoy what you have as we are only temporary custodians of all this stuff.

Louis – The 2014 PR Britannia devise is great on the 1 oz coin. I have to believe that very design on a 5oz coin will become your new, favorite coin. I may very well re-assess my position in an effort to swing the 5 oz version. It is a “to have and to hold” keeper- in its capsule, of course!!

The tracking thing is strange. UPS and FedEx are easy from start to finish. The “Post” to USPS usually doesn’t see any activity until the package clears US customs to an adjacent Post Office. The RM packages almost always come ashore in NY before moving on. That’s where I lost my two George and the Dragon “Birth Celebration” coins last year. Arrived in NY and never left. Well, not by the normal process, anyway.

off topic, which capsule should i use for the 1.5 oz polar bear? air-tite makes special ones?

VABB,

I am actually a bit doubtful you will have a lot of trouble picking up the three coin proof set this year. As I recall, I had zero problems ordering my three coin horses last year. I think they will sell quickly (the three coin proof sets always do), but you won’t have a stampede for them that you will have to battle against either. Just buy them sometime day 1, and you should be fine.

@ Samuel – I also need some for my Polar Bear and Arctic Fox bullion coins. The last time I looked at air-tite, some 3 months ago, they were offering a capsule that “worked,” but was not presented as a “manufactured for / exact fit” to the 1.5oz Polar Bears. At that time, their solution closed but did not create a tight seal. We know SOMEONE is making those capsules, though, as the RCM places the numismatic version of those same 1.5oz Polar Bears in very well manufactured, compatible capsules.

I had wondered if one of the reasons the RCM struck the 1oz numismatic version of the Arctic Fox, vice a 1.5oz version similar to the Polar Bear, was due to difficulties associated with those unique capsules. Not that they would ever tell us.

@ CO – thanks for the feedback. I agree that the Horse set was much easier to pick up from Perth, as compared to the Snake set in 2013, and even more so than the Dragon Set of 2012. Like you said, as long as we get in during Day 1, we should be OK.

Just took delivery of the new RCM proof bald eagle. Terrific coin, fast fulfillment and very fair at $80-82 USD. I have a couple of the bullion version coming in about a week.

@VAB- The 5 oz Britannia is out of sight. Really impressive in every way. It’ hard to remember being that excited opening a coin package. The packaging is befitting of such a grand coin.

@ Louis – Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you love it. I think the 1 oz is a winner, so the 5 oz version could only be more impressive in every respect. With your confirmation, it’s now at the top of my wish list. Looks like it might be time to purge and binge!!

@VAB- I also got the proof set (6 coin) and the 1 oz is very nice, but the HR 5 oz really does the design justice in a way the others, esp. the tiny ones, do not. Has anyone else noticed how Britannia seems especially proud of her backside in this design? God save the queen!

15. AKcollector says

I just took delivery of the Proof 2015 1 oz. Silver Kookaburra. Beautiful Coin. Nicely detailed. A very nice addition to my collection.