Perth Mint New Product Releases for May 2014 Include New Wedge Tailed Eagle Coins

The Perth Mint of Australia has started accepting orders for their latest round of new product releases. This includes the latest coins in the Australian Megafauna and Treasures of the World series, a new half gram sized gold coin, and two new Australian Wedge Tailed Eagle coins featuring the design by John Mercanti.

For collectors in the United States, sales began at May 5, 2014 at 12:01 PM ET. These coins can all be found as the first entries within the recent releases section on the Perth Mint’s website.

Thylacoleo Silver Coin

Product page

The fourth release within the Australian Megafauna series features the Thylacoleo, a carnivorous marsupial that lived during the late Pleistocene period. The animal was powerfully built with strong forelimbs and sharp claws well suited to securing prey and climbing trees. The creature also had strong jaws and massive shearing teeth.

The reverse design of the 1 oz silver proof coin features the image of a Thylacoleo and its young against a colored background. The coins come in a presentation case with illustrated shipper and numbered certificate of authenticity. The maximum mintage is 6,500 pieces.

The three previous releases of the series featuring the Procoptodon, Diprotodon, and Genyornis still remain available for sale. The final upcoming release of the series will feature the Megalania.

Treasures of the World Gold Proof Locket Coin

Silver CoinGold Coin

The second release within the Treasures of the World series showcases Australia and its wealth of gold. Separate gold and silver coins include innovative locket containing loose granules of gold.

The reverse design of each coin features a common design with the locket surrounded by a scene from the Australian outback including a kangaroo, Grass trees, and Spinifex plants. The inscriptions read “Treasures of the World” and “Gold”. The obverse of each coin contains the Ian Rank-Broadley effigy of Queen Elizabeth II with the “2014” date, precious metal weight and purity, and the legal tender denomination.

The 1 oz silver proof coin is struck in 99.9% purity with a diameter of 40.60 mm and maximum mintage is 7,500 pieces. The 1 oz gold proof coin is struck in 99.99% purity with a diameter of 32.60 mm and maximum mintage of 750 pieces.

Australian Red Cross Silver Coin

Product page

A 1 oz silver proof coin is issued to celebrate 100 years of the Australian Red Cross. The reverse design incorporates a series of black and white photographs to represent the broad cross section of society that the organization assists. The central lower portion of the coin includes the image of a World War I nurse. Inscriptions read “the power of humanity” and “100 Years People Helping People” with an image of the Australian Red Cross logo.

This coin carries a limited mintage of 5,000 pieces.

Kookaburra Half Gram Gold Coin

Product page

The Perth Mint has introduced the half gram gold Mini Kookaburra. The product joins the other half gram gold Mini Roo and Mini Koala coins.

Featuring the design of a Kookaburra in a resting pose, each coin contains a weight of 0.5 grams (0.016 troy ounces) of 99.99% pure gold. The diameter is 11.60 mm and the maximum thickness is 0.70 mm. There is an unlimited mintage. The coins come housed in an acrylic capsule mounted on a wallet sized card.

Australian Wedge Tailed Eagle

1 oz silver proof5 oz silver high relief

As discussed in a previous post, the Perth Mint is releasing additional coins featuring former United States Mint Chief Engraver John Mercanti’s Australian Wedge Tailed Eagle design. The releases for this month include 1 oz silver proof and 5 oz silver proof high relief coins featuring the beautiful design.

The reverse design depicts the Wedge Tailed Eagle in mid-flight as it prepares to land on a tree branch. The obverse contains the Ian Rank-Broadley effigy of Queen Elizabeth II.

The 1 oz silver proof version of the coin is struck in 99.9% purity and has a diameter of 40.6 mm. The coin carries a maximum mintage of 5,000 pieces, which is notably lower than the 10,000 mintage for the 1 oz silver proof high relief version.

The 5 oz silver proof high relief version of the coin is struck in 99.9% purity with a diameter of 50.60 mm and maximum thickness of 12.50. The high relief obverse and reverse of the coin are both minted on concave surfaces to achieve optimum metal flow. The maximum mintage is 5,000 pieces.

The two coins are not available to order for customers in the USA. For this region, distribution is exclusive to Govmint.

Other new releases for this month include:

Comments

1. VA Rich says

No, they went too fast to even pull up. If I had to guess Direct sold out between 7:04 to 7:06

2. VA Rich says

Totally lucked in to that, as I didn’t see anything at first on the home page and then started probing around in the Perth section. I think Downies put it up a second time before it was gone for good but I might be confused with other searches I doing, able to snag two. Hope everyone else to successful, surely they’ll be more to come at other Australian outlets and thru Europe.

3. Mr Louis Golino says

FM- Did you get anything? Also, was your soccer coin from franrick7 on e-Bay? I just found out RS Mint is not getting these because you have to be a licensed FIFA dealer, which seems odd as I doubt those bay sellers are either. And there is no savings from the Mint. Did you say you got a shipping confirmation already?

4. Zeeman says

Louis@ i think Fm got it striaght from the French mint. so did i, hopefully it should arrive this week.

5. Mr Louis Golino says

Thanks, Z. I went with the e-Bay seller who has 100% rating on 3K transactions and it was cheaper than the Mint with that 30 euro shipping charge, which is nuts. My previous orders from the Mint have also taken weeks to ship. And the other French coins I wanted were much cheaper from my regular dealer esp. with the discount I get, so that’s it for French releases for quite a while.

6. Mr Louis Golino says

Don’t forget- new RCM bison coin tomorrow (last in series) and a whole new eagle set (which I am skipping) and a bunch of other stuff! Ay caramba!

7. Ikaika says

@ Louis

Is Louis and Mr Louis Golino the same person using different screen name? Just curious.

8. Mr Louis Golino says

sorry about the formal name. I keep forgetting my browser is putting all that in. It’s just Louis.

9. Mr Louis Golino says

and yes, the cat is out of the bag, we are the same! Damn browser killed my anonymity!

Looks like the RCM saw the success of the Tuvalu coin and decided it was time for yet another eagle series. But the art work is just not of the caliber of last year’s coins or of the Tuvalu coin. Just my view.

11. Ikaika says

Good to know that is you Louis 🙂
    BTW, were you able to purchase the 5oz today? I got lucky this morning and did not to compete at Downies and Direct for them.

Thanks, Ikaika. I have a contact at Downies and actually had one reserved last night. Was considering a 2nd from Direct but I was too slow, and that is okay, as I am tapped from all these new releases. Stop the train, I need to get off!

BTW- I have probably said this several times- but I will never forget your post about how my mood changed in 11/11 when there was the frenzy for the 25th annie sets, and I was like the kid in the pastry shop with my nose pressed against the glass! Precious. Those were some good donuts.

14. Ikaika says

Now we need another article from you with a title “The mystery of the vanishing 5 oz WTE” or similar 🙂
    I was able to purchase one by luck at Coins Australia. Just got a shipping confirmation. The eagle should look awesome in the 5 oz version. From Downies and Direct coins, it was impossible. And from GM, I was offered the 69 at a much higher price. Never saw that 70 from them. Are we getting any other version?

15. Ikaika says

BTW, we always knew Louis=Louis Golino. The two screen names caused some confusion 🙂

16. Zeeman says

I guess my order is good from Downies, i order 5 of the 5oz HR eagle, i got a e-mail from there customer service that they need a security check since my order is over $1000.00 dollars, they need a copy of driver license, no problem, i used my debit card, they want a copy of the top portion of the bill, where name, address and card number is shown, now how i do that? i just get a bank statement, since its my checking account, no card number on the statement. any suggestions?

17. VA Rich says

Take a photo from your phone of a statement on the website or paper copy and email it, worked for me for my $500 over order

I thank that is it for this year for WTE’s, but there are some rumors of it becoming an ongoing series. Nothing official at this point. I believe someone said there was something about that on the Perth blog recently, but I can’t find the post.

19. Hidalgo says

I like the wedge tailed eagle design, even though there are other eagle designs that I like better.

Since I am more interested in the design than the coin, I am hoping and holding out for the possibility that the Australian mint will produce a bullion version of the coin. (This blog mentioned that it might be a possibility, but the Aussie mint did not confirm it).

Hidalgo is right. I forgot about the bullion but in my view there are enough versions of this design. And as much as I like eagles, we are reaching saturation on them.

21. Ikaika says

Louis,
    I hope the Perth mint doesn’t get too carried away and start pumping out those colorized WTE! That is when I get off the bus 😉

22. Ikaika says

FM,
    Thank you for the heads up on the 5 oz WTE. This will give others that missed the boat an opportunity to make the purchase.