Italy: Gioachino Rossini 10 Euro Silver Coin

The Italian State Mint has issued a new silver coin dedicated to composer Gioachino Rossini, who wrote 39 operas during his career and until his retirement in 1829 became the most popular opera composer in history. He is best known for comic operas such as The Barber of Seville and La Cenerntola and French language epics Moïse et Pharaon and Guillaume Tell.

This release is part of the 2014 Europa Coin Programme, which includes releases from participating member countries honoring European composers.

obverse

The obverse of the coin features a bust of Gioachino Rossini adapted from a marble sculpture displayed at the International Museum and Library of Bologna. A reproduction of Rossini’s signature appears across the shoulder.

reverse

The reverse features a view within the Teatro Rossini with a magpie in flight recalling an allegory of the opera La gazza ladra (The Thieving Magpie). The Europa Star privy mark appears above. The “2014” date and “10 Euro” denomination appear below.

Each coin is struck in .925 sterling silver with a diameter of 34 mm and weight of 22 grams. The mintage is limited to 6,500 pieces.

Comments

After having to open a case on the bay I actually have my NIUE T E Lawrence coin in the city to be delivered Monday. Yeah!

Tuvalu 2014-P American Bald Eagle Portrait $1 Ultra High Relief Medallic Pure Silver Dollar Proof Piedfort
    Talisman just emailed and has them at $77.95…OGP

3. Koichi Ito says

Can you order collector coins and proof sets from Italian Mint from North and South America as well as in Asia and Africa?

RSMint in Utah just got this coin.
    It’s a nice piece but Italian commemoratives are very expensive.

TY Louis, I used them before. Had to send it back but the replacement was a stunner. Got my Kook HR today, another stunner, I am bird man hear me flap! lol

I have been buying from Royal Scandinavian for a decade and have always received good quality and great service and prices. They have some special sales during the year too. And often they provide a good alternative to ordering from foreign mints or foreign e-Bay sellers, which takes longer and can be iffy. Most foreign mints are not like Perth, RCM, and ours. They cater more to dealers and are not nearly as good at retail sales.

Right, it was my first order and I think they tried to just send me a reject return and see if i would complain. Well I did because the box was crushed in the corner and the frosting was missing in several spots. He said he had 6 more of the same so i got exchange and it was flawless under 10x loupe. Came back a 69 UC. Was part of my 5 free grades with membership so feel that was why i didn’t get the 70. I paid up the wazoo for the wedge tail sent from Aussie and snagged the only FR 70 HR NGC…:)