2014 Mob of Roos Silver Proof High Relief Coin

The Royal Australian Mint will release a new silver proof high relief coin to mark the 30th anniversary of the Australian $1 Coin. While the Perth Mint now frequently issues coins in high relief, this appears to be the first time the Royal Australian Mint has used the format.

Mob of Roos High Relief Silver Coin

The Australian $1 Coin was first issued on May 14, 1984 to replace the $1 note with a more durable and lower cost alternative. The original reverse design by Stuart Devlin featured a mob of kangaroos. To celebrate the 30th anniversary, the design is rendered high relief on a limited mintage silver proof coin.

obverse

The obverse features the current Ian Rank-Broadley effigy of Queen Elizabeth II with the “2014” date.

Each coin is struck in 1 ounce of 99.9% silver with a diameter of 32 mm. The mintage is limited to 10,000 pieces. The product page indicates that the coins will be shipped from May 5, 2014.

colored

A cupro nickel $1 coin featuring the mob of roos in color is also released to mark the 30th anniversary. This will be the first time that the design has been produced in color on cupro nickel.

These coins have a diameter of 25 mm and weight of 10.03 grams with a colored printed frosted uncirculated finish. The mintage is limited to 30,000 pieces and the product page can be found here.

Comments

Thanks for the update, Michael. I also find it hard to believe that the RAM had not moved into the HR Coin market sooner.

Given the RAM success with the Southern Sky Domed Coins, they obviously have the ability to execute alternative striking processes. What I find interesting, based on the product graphics, it that the RAM seems to be using the RCM’s preferred technique of thicker devices on a flat field, e.g., the recent Moon Mask coins, vice the Perth technique of double-concave strikes on the thicker, smaller diameter planchettes. Regardless of the process, should end up being another great coin from the RAM. It’s high relief, so I’ll definitely be looking to add one to my growning HR Type-set.

2. JagFan says

I agree – I’m a fan of the HR!

I wish there would be more of a notification on some of the American Exclusives that are being produced by the Perth Mint for the U.S. Dealers.. So far I have been lucky in tracking them down this year (govmint, silvertowne & apmex) however there could be more out there, lol!

RAM is also producing a coin called the Victoria Cross 1oz Silver Frosted Uncirculated Coin that is being released in June. Only 30k are being made and they are already on presale at both Downies & Direct Coins.. Can’t wait to see this one in hand!

Let’s see. HRM QEII has recently turned 88 years old, yet remains as sharp as ever. She’s been the beloved Ruling Monarch of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth for 60+ years, and currently has a 4th version of her Effigy proudly displayed upon nearly 50% of the World’s Currency. I’d say she’s doing pretty darn good – character lines and all!!

@JagFan – The Victoria Cross also is available for pre-order directly from RAM. Based upon their product description, it appears to be their transistion into the “multple finish” silver coin. In looking at the design, and depending upon the total number of finishes used, I think it could be a stunner!!

5. JagFan says

Also, for those that jumped on the Gods of Olympus 2oz coin, the next in the series is being released in June… At 1,500 pieces if you are lucky enough to get in on this one, it will definately increase in value quickly!

I also read that they are not capping how many you can buy so this one will not be around long.

On a side note, does anyone know who the distributor is in the USA for the new Disney coins? If you have kids or grandkids that you want to get interested in the hobby, these are perfect! Especially if you can find them graded so that you can protect the coin and allow them to handle it as much as they want!

6. JagFan says

*VABEACHBUM – I also read early this morning that they are going to produce a 20+ coin set of the Queen that will tell her life story thru out the collection (Royal Mint)… The coins aren’t cheap however if you are a fan of the queen, they are fixing to hit the market as well!

I think the set is called Princess of Monarch Collection or something like that?

@JagFan – I’m on the mailing list for the Royal Mint, and had received that notice within the past 24 hours as well. Not cheap, for sure. I’m also disappointed that the coins are in Sterling Silver (0.925), vice either Britannia (0.958) or pure (0.999) Silver. 80 Pnd (~US$130) for 28.3 grams of Sterling is hard to justify. I had been thinking about the Queen Anne Piedfort, until the product details were published and I learned that it, too, is a Sterling Silver coin and way overpriced for the silver content.

JagFan- Last time I looked the silver Disney coin was on the Bay for $115. The gold got way too high and I bet it will come back down like the Superman gold.

@ Brooster – Yeah, Talisman has them listed on their main page, but when you go to the product listing, they show the item as out of stock. For them, that usually means they have sold out their expected allotment. Over on the MNB side, someone had indicated that Silvertowne had listed some NGC and PCGS 70 HR Eagles. I don’t expect them to last very long.

10. Broooster says

Sorry VA, I didnt look at the status of the coin on their site, I had bought mine from their E-Bay site. It came yesterday, which reminded me to mention it.

I would not be surprised to see an HR ASE in 2016 for the 30th anniv. Mike Olson supported this in the recent CCAC meeting. I have also suggested it several times.

Also, the 2018 Peace dollar/WWI vets commem set that the committee has proposed would include an HR Peace dollar.

@ C.O. Agreed that the US Mint has been long overdue for another HR coin, but especially in silver. The 30th Anny would be a great transition point: I see a three coin set consisting of the last year of the current design, first year of the new design, and an HR version of either one, preferably the new design, as that proposed eagle would look sweet in HR.

@ Louis – I remember the Peace Dollar set from your CW article. Already planning ahead for that one!!

13. VA Rich says

Hey Gents – mark your calendars –

New release date for Gods of Olympus – Poseidon

The second release from the Gods of Olympus series will be released on 3 June 2014.

14. VA Rich says

The spectacular new coin will be available on The Perth Mint website at 00.01am, Tuesday 3 June Australian Western Standard Time.

Poseidon will also be available from authorised Perth Mint coin distributors.

Me and you both, buddy! I also like the idea of finally giving WWI vets some recognition though it’s awfully late esp. as almost all are deceased now. Still better late than never, and that angle should help sell the set to the folks (had various other words in mind!) on the Hill.

May is going to be a blockbuster with the wedge tail 5 oz, Shenandoah puck, silver proof sets, and a bunch of other stuff.

I had been thinking about the “public” release of the 5oz WTE the other day. If Perth follows the typical pattern, we won’t be able to buy from them, but I’ll definitely be tracking some of their other distributors. I’m hoping Talisman gets a few; also looking at Direct Coin out of AU.

As for our “friends” on the Hill, I would respectfully request their hands-off support for any of these future, non-legislated coins and sets. Let the Mint excel without uneducated interference!!

@ JagFan – I guess it all depends on how you value the “worth?” It definitely appears to be very well done, yet it does not evoke any urgent, “must have it in my collection” feelings for me. And, in Cu w/ 5K strikes, I see very little, if any, returns on the investment. That’ just my take; I very well could be wrong.

I’ll still be watching the UNC Silver version, though, as I’m very interested to see how the RAM incorporates a multi-finish effect onto their Ag coins.

I’d say she’s doing pretty darn good – character lines and all!!
    She’s been doing just fine since birth. Glad the grand kid is cute, thank Diana for that!