2014 Silver Britannia/ Year of the Horse Mule Error Coins

An article in CoinWorld recently publicized the discovery of a pair of mule errors on Royal Mint silver bullion coins. A mule error occurs when two dies not intended to be paired together are used to strike coinage.

In this case, the mule errors involve the transposition of the two similar obverse designs from the 2014 Silver Britannia Bullion Coin and 2014 Lunar Year of the Horse Silver Bullion Coin. Both obverse designs feature the same Ian Rank Broadley effigy of Queen Elizabeth II, but the Britannia coins have a dentils around the rim while the Lunar coins do not.

The first mule error consists of the obverse design from the Lunar coin (without dentils) being paired with the reverse design from the Britannia coin. Reportedly, there were approximately 17,000 examples of this error struck from an unlimited mintage.

The second error consists of the obverse design from the Britannia coin (with dentils) being paired with the reverse design from the Lunar coin. There were approximately 38,000 examples of this error struck from an overall mintage of 300,000.

Silver Britannia Mule Error

After reading the article, I checked my two 2014 Silver Britannias and was pleased to find that they were both examples of the mule error.

I had picked up the two coins in early January at the FUN Convention as a regular bullion purchase. During the course of the convention, I had purchased one or two examples of 2014-dated world silver bullion coins for an upcoming article. The coins were purchased from various dealers based on availability and pricing.

At a later date, I also purchased one example of the Royal Mint’s 2014 Year of the Horse 1 oz Silver Bullion Coin. This coin was not an example of the error.

Any readers who picked up these silver bullion coins are encouraged to re-examine them. The mule errors are easy to identify once you know what you are looking for.

Since the discovery was announced, several examples of the mule errors have been listed on eBay. Currently, there are a much larger number of the Britannia mules available compared to the Year of the Horse mules. There are not yet any completed transactions on the site.

Comments

1. Hidalgo says

Neither my 2014 silver Britannia or 2014 Year of the Horse coins are of the “mule” variety. That’s OK with me. Sure, it would have been nice to have something that’s rare and collectible. However, I’m happy just to have both coins in my collection :)

Ditto what Hidalgo said. And by now I doubt one would find one if they ordered more since dealers will probably have checked their stocks. Pretty cool anyway.

Dentils, love it! Learn a new word everyday helps the vocabulary better anyway..

4. F Santis says

Sounds about right; the first 2014 Britannia I get turns out to be one of these. I thought it looked a bit plain.

I’m confused about the first error. So OBVERSE has a Lunar Horse AND the REVERSE has a Britannia? No Queen on the coin?

7. beaver says

Where do you buy one or two of these? I’ve always liked the designs of the Britannia and the Sovereigns.

Congrats on your good fortune, Michael!!! With as much as you give to our hobby, you certainly are deserving of the return.

I have checked the 2014 Britannias and Lunar Horse bullion coins that already were in my collection prior to this discovery, and I’m oh-fer. Like Hidalgo and Louis, though, I like both series and am happy to have examples of each. If I, too, am fortunate, I might cross paths with a rarity soon enough!!

9. Ikaika says

@ VARich

Thanks for the info. Anyone knows if we will be able to purchase directly from the Perth this time? Or we will have to go through the distributors? GM was asking a lot for the 69’s.

@ Ikaika – Given that GM is the only dealer providing advanced sales of graded 5 oz WTE, and that was the same situation for the 1 oz HR and 1 oz PR, I’m guessing we’re screwed.

Better start trying to find the contact info for those alternative WTE sources we had identified the first time around. Since I’m not interested in plastic coffins and arbitrary numbers, I’ll be looking for options. Good Luck to those in pursuit!!

11. AkBob says

What are some of the names of distributor’s that we can order from for these 5 oz WTE’s? Thank you in advance.