Chinese Gold and Silver Coins Celebrate Moon Landing

The People’s Bank of China has recently issued a pair of gold and silver coins to commemorate the China Lunar Exploration Program’s first successful moon landing. China’s moon lander Chang’e 3 and lunar rover Yutu had successfully landed on the Moon on December 14, 2013.

China Moon Landing Silver coin

The reverse design of the 1 oz silver coin features an image of the moon lander and lunar rover photographing each other on the surface of the moon. The earth as seen from space appears in the background. The inscription reads “China Lunar Exploration Program’s First Successful Moon Landing” in Chinese with the legal tender face value.

The 10 Yuan Silver Coin is struck in 99.9% fine silver to proof quality with a weight of 1 oz and diameter of 40 mm. The total mintage is 20,000 pieces.

China Moon Landing Gold coin

The 1/4 oz gold coin features a reverse design depicting the lunar rover carrying out the exploration of the surface of the moon. The earth as seen from space is visible in the background. The inscription once again reads “China Lunar Exploration Program’s First Successful Moon Landing” in Chinese with the legal tender face value.

The 100  Yuan Gold Coin is struck in 99.9% purity to proof quality with a weight of 1/4 oz and diameter of 22 mm. The total mintage is 10,000 pieces.

Both coins share a common obverse design featuring the national emblem of the People’s Republic of China, the title of the PRC, and the “2014” date.

Comments

Still waiting to find HD photos of OUR landing in 69 to prove to a non believer WE landed there. Why can’t we find HD NEW photos of our flag, Armstongs foot prints, rover, etc etc in this day and age? If anyone has a link please share because I still cannot prove to this guy that we actually landed there. He wants to see current HD photos taken from say a sattelite or something and I don’t blame him. Why don’t we have any? We have photos from Mars, etc, but no updated photos from our Moon landings..

Hubble can look into the Universe? Why can’t it zoom in on the Moon? Maybe we DIDN’T land there. Remember Capricorn 1? Older bloggers will, younger, you may want to watch that movie. Good movie about how they faked the Moon landing.

You guys are too much. I went to grade school with Armstrong’s son. Believe me we landed on the moon. I thought this was a blog about coins.

@Louis: “Believe me we landed on the moon.” I want to. Buy how can we not have current HD photos of our stuff up there? Going to school with his grandson is awesome. Armstrong was my hero growing up. Do you have a logical answer?

5. Koichi Ito says

Where I can buy this Chinese commemorative gold and silver Lunar landing coins? So how I can order this coins from Chinese Mint?

@Koichi Ito: Do you ever read the comments or just post?
    The Moon landing comments are related to coin subject, therefore relevant..

7. Koichi Ito says

I do read comment and collect coins. So I just ordered coins from Austrian Mint. In fact I would like take one way trip to moon or Mars someday. Therefore this Chinese gold and silver lunar landing coins would be a fine coin collection too.

My friend just picked up his buddy from airport yesterday. He was trelling me this guy sold his company for 700 million right before the dot com burst. He also said he paid 20 million to go over to Russia for a year and train and was flown to the space station. WoW, talk about living. He actually did it! He has a Phd. in physics he said.

actually, one thing people are questioning is that, in the picture, the flag moves, but there is no air on the moon. how can the flag moved like that?

10. JagFan says

How was it stored in the lander? I’m sure it wasn’t flat as they didn’t have the space so it was probably rolled up. So at some point it was unrolled and positioned.

The flag has wires inside it so it stands upright, I read that when i was a kid. I remember because they wanted the flag extended so there is wires inside it. Still, in this day and age we should have High Definition photos of our presence on the Moon IMHO. It would put all the doubters to rest

LRO launched in June 2009, and first captured close-up images of the Apollo landing sites in July of that year. These details are visible in photos snapped by the probe while it was skimming just 15 miles (24 kilometers) above the moon’s surface. So in 2009, 15 miles above the surface we can’t zoom in enough to get HD photos of this stuff but google earth can see m y moms old truck clear as day from a sattelite? CMON MAN! WHERE IS THE PROOF??

13. bob says

The Soviets acknowledged the US landing as they tracked it themselves.

The US landed on the moon and there is absolutely no doubt and question about it. I guess that’s why they never bothered getting more photos of the landing site just to shut up minority conspiracy theorists, I mean, who cares what they think anyways lol.