2014 Sydney New Year’s Eve Fireworks Holographic Silver Proof Coin

The Royal Australian Mint has recently announced a colored holographic silver proof coin depicting the Sydney New Year’s Eve Fireworks. The coin will also incorporate a special symbol to be unveiled at midnight on New Year’s Eve.

Sydney Fireworks Coin

The reverse design of the coin features a depiction of the fireworks over the Sydney Harbor Bridge. The color of the hologram will change to show the bursts of light as they appear during the fireworks display. A special symbol, which will be unveiled at midnight, will be color printed onto the bridge in place of the question mark. The theme for the symbol is “Shine”, celebrating Sydney as the city where the sun, the water, and the people shine.

The obverse design will feature the Ian Rank-Broadley effigy of Queen Elizabeth II with the monetary denomination and “2014” date.

Each coin is struck in 1 troy ounce of .999 silver in proof quality. A maximum mintage of 15,000 pieces is established.

This coin will represent the first in a ten year series  to be released on January 1st of each year.

The Royal Australian Mint is currently accepting pre-orders for the coin here, although the coins will not be dispatched until after January 6, 2014.

Comments

1. Wes says

Probably put the Year where the question mark is.

OT Anyone else wondering where the other 2500 coins from the St George five pond silver crown proof coins went to. Have noticed some listed on Ebay.
    2013 THE ROYAL BIRTH GREAT BRITAIN UK £5 SILVER PROOF COIN NGC PF70 1ST OF 2500
    One sold in Pf 70 condition for just over 700 dollars last month. A few more have been listed sellers say they have multiples of this coin. Claim they are of the first 2500 minted by the mint and sent directly to NGC for grading. Certificates of authenticity differ from the other 7500 as they say first strike on them and have the coins number printed on the front of it. These coins were not for sale to the public on the Royal Mint website. the coin I received from the mint only says from a limited edition of 7500 on it.

this coin is also a “surprise”. i hesitated for several days, then bought 3. seems should buy more.

This definitely looks like a good one to pick up. Have to see what my funds look like around Christmas. I’ve wanted a holographic coin for awhile now, and I like how this one looks.

there is a new 1.5oz silver coming out from canada, the first one is polar bear. u probably remember what happened with the silver wolf in the wildlife series.

Got a 2010 Libertad half proof and 09 10 11 proof 1/20 in mail. Just beautiful coins and priced fair. Hopefully these will gain more interest. I think the unpredictability is scaring collectors off. Their loss, these are beautiful.

I can’t imagine trying to assemble even a 1/20 set from start in proof. Those would so cool in an album.

The first of a 10 year series… I’m curious as to what the premise of the series is?? Fireworks over different locations in Australia; over different bridges; or different New Year’s festivities. Either Perth or RAM recently completed a coin series dedicated to different Australian Bridges, so I’m not sure of what this series is intended to represent. Still, for this coin, it definitely looks interesting and, if I were to buy it, it would be my first holographic coin as well.

@ Samuel & C.O. – The RCM released the 1.5 oz Polar Bear in bullion form ealier in 2013 then, in mid-November, they released a Proof version of this same 1.5 oz Polar Bear coin at an “acceptable” pricing. As of today, the PR version remains available. Sales have been steady, but no indications of being close to a sell-out. I have not seen anything from RCM to indicate that this might be the start of a new 1.5 oz series in either BU or PR, but I think a series like that might have some long term potential.

@ Samuel – Are you referring to the 1.5 oz Arctic Fox listing I found on a certain “P” dealer’s website?? Interesting, as that appears to be the second coin in a series. Thanks for the heads up!!

@ Samuel – I’m still trying to find some capsules for my 1.5oz BU Polar Bears. They came in flips, but I would like to get them sealed as quickly as possible.

I check the air-tite site every once in a while, although the last time was well over a month ago. Clearly, someone is making them, as the RCM PR Polars are nicely packaged numismatic versions. If I find something, I’ll publish the information in one of these threads.