The Chinese Gold and Silver Panda Coins are among the eagerly awaited bullion coin series featuring annually rotating designs. The People’s Bank of China released the 2014-dated coins featuring a brand new design on September 30, 2013.
The common obverse design features the Hall of Prayer for Good Harvests (The Temple of Heaven). Inscriptions within an outer ring include the title of the People’s Republic of China and the “2014” date. The new reverse design for this year features a panda at play with a tree branch against a backdrop of bamboo. The inscriptions include the legal tender denomination and the precious metal weight and purity.
The line up for the 2014 Panda coins includes seven different denominations in gold and three different denominations in silver. The gold options are struck in 99.9% purity and range in size from 1/20 oz to 1 kg. The silver options are struck in 99.9% purity and range from 1 oz to 1 kg.
Maximum mintage levels are established for each option. With one exception, the maximum levels are unchanged from the prior year. The one change occurs for the 1 oz gold coin, which carries a mintage this year of 1,000,000 pieces compared to 600,000 in the prior year.
The most popular 1 oz silver coin has a maximum mintage of 8,000,000 pieces. In earlier years of the series the mintage for this size was significantly lower. From 2003 to 2010, the mintage was 600,000. This was raised to 6,000,000 in 2011 and 8,000,000 from 2012 to present.
2014 Chinese Gold Panda Coins
- 20 Yuan: 1/20 troy ounce with maximum mintage of 800,000.
- 50 Yuan: 1/10 troy ounce with maximum mintage of 800,000.
- 100 Yuan: 1/4 troy ounce with maximum mintage of 600,000.
- 200 Yuan: 1/2 troy ounce with maximum mintage of 600,000.
- 500 Yuan: 1 troy ounce with maximum mintage of 1,000,000.
- 2000 Yuan: Proof quality 5 troy ounce with maximum mintage of 5,000.
- 10000 Yuan: Proof quality 1 kg with maximum mintage of 500.
2014 Chinese Silver Panda Coins
- 10 Yuan: 1 troy ounce with maximum mintage of 8,000,000.
- 50 Yuan: Proof quality 5 troy ounces with maximum mintage of 50,000.
- 300 Yuan: Proof quality 1 kg with maximum mintage of 20,000.