Perth Mint New Product Releases Include High Relief Silver Proof Coins

The Perth Mint has started accepting orders for their latest batch of new product releases. This month’s new products are highlighted by high relief silver proof coins and more issues celebrating the upcoming 2014 Year of the Horse.

For collectors within the United States, sales have opened as of November 4, 2013 at 11:01 AM ET. These coins can all be found as the first entries within the recent releases section of the Perth Mint’s website.

Three Coin Set

Product page

The 2013 Australian High Relief Collection includes three previously released 1 oz high relief silver proof coins featuring the Kookaburra, Kangaroo, and Koala. Each of the coins has a high relief obverse and reverse design minted on concave surfaces.

The three coins are housed in a display case with illustrated shipper and accompanied by a numbered certificate of authenticity. The 2013 Australian High Relief Collection has an issue limit of 1,000 sets. This is from an overall maximum mintage of 10,000 Kookaburra, 20,000 Kangaroo, and 10,000 Koala High Relief Silver Proof Coins.

There is currently an ordering limit of one set per customer.

High Relief Silver Proof Year of the Horse Coin

Product page

Continuing the popular format, the Perth Mint has released the 2014 Year of the Horse 1 oz Silver Proof High Relief Coin. The reverse design features two horses standing within a stylized Chinese landscape, while the obverse features the Ian Rank Broadley effigy of Queen Elizabeth II. Both the obverse and reverse are struck on concave surfaces to ensure the optimum flow of metal is achieved by the strike of the die.

Each coin is housed in a presentation case with illustrated shipper and numbered certificate of authenticity. The maximum mintage is 7,500 coins.

rectangular

Product page

A four coin set of rectangular coins is issued to mark the upcoming Year of the Horse. Each coin features a different colored horse set against a mountain landscape. The Chinese character for horse also appears. The obverse of each coin contains the Raphael Maklouf effigy of Queen Elizabeth II with the 2014 date. These coins are issued as legal tender under the authority of the Government of the Cook Islands.

Each coin is struck in 1 oz of .999 fine silver to proof quality. The dimensions of each coin are 47.60 mm x 27.60 mm. A maximum mintage of 3,000 of the sets is established.

Cute Baby Horse

Product page

An additional new release celebrating the Year of the Horse is the 2014 “Cute Baby Horse” Silver Coin. The reverse design of the coin features a depiction of a baby horse standing on its hind legs and wearing a colorful bridle and blanket.

Each coin is struck in 1/2 oz of .999 silver to proof quality. The maximum mintage is established at 7,500 pieces.

Additional new product releases for this month include:

Comments

1. CW says

That last picture sums up my thoughts on the year of the horse. I am predicting a dramatic drop in sales compared to the snake and dragon series.

@ Samuel – Based on Perth’s 2012 4-coin set, the 4th coin in this 2013 set should have been the HR Snake coin. I, too, am surprised.

@ Michael – Any indications as to why they made the change in format?? While the HR Snake sold well, I do not believe the demand was nearly as high as that seen for the 2012 HR Dragon coin.

@ CW – Actually, Perth had issued similar, “Baby” coins for the Years of the Dragon and Snake. I have elected to pass on all three issues.

I could have sworn that Perth also had planned to launch the 10-coin Coloured Lunar Set during this release. Some of us had discussed it in the “Latvia – Oh Holy Lestene” thread. Anyone know what happened??

As for the 2014 High Relief Lunar Horse, Talisman already has emailed a sales notice to their current customers. Will be available at near-Perth pricing and lower shipping. I plan to order 1 in OGP, along with a couple other nice-to-haves from their inventory.

VABB,

I was also thinking the high relief snake would be in there and was surprised it was not. Still, I picked it up because I missed all the 2013 high relief coins. I’m a little surprised they placed ordering limits on those coins – I did not think any were in especially hot demand.

Needless to say I also picked up the high relief horse. I have come to really appreciate the high relief Lunars and am always surprised they aren’t more of a “stampede” item.

You were correct about the ten coin colored sets. They must have pulled them at the last minute. Perhaps they’ll sell them later or perhaps marketing research/customer feedback indicated they would flop.

@ C.O. – Great to hear from you!! I’ve picked up one each of the 2013 HR’s as they have been released. The Kook was franchised through Paradise. I don’t mind dealing with them, as their prices are reasonable and shipping is free. The Koala was franchised through NYM, whom I try to avoid using – even if it means some extra costs to me. I ended up acquiring one, at cost through the Bay, some 2 months ago.

I also have enjoyed each of the Perth Lunar HR coins, but honestly can say that I am a fan of every Perth HR Silver coin issued to date, to include the “Pheidippidis-Marathon,” struck for Tuvalu, as well as their Sydney Cove Medal. Sydney remains my favorite, and I like the entire series of HR Kangaroos, with the Boxers being the best.

My concern about the 10 Coin Coloured Lunar Horse Set was, given the life-like presentation of the Horses on the reverse, I thought Perth would be hard pressed to develop 10 different color combinations that could be realistic AND appealing, but especially given how they already had addressed the Coloured PR and BU coins.

I don’t really care that the type set is still available. I bought it because I like looking at it. If you are trying to make money, this is not the way to do it.

I wish I could afford that one Schalk. Just got my 25th Ann. Silver Maple Piefort HR…Wow, nice fields, great call Michael on that one. Under loupe looks like a 70 to me but ya never know until you send it in. I normally do not share COA number BUT what the heck. I got #401 of 10.000…On to the Rushmore “P”..

@ Louis and Schalk – Following up on Schalk’s comment about NIUE 5 oz HR Lunar Horse, FM had indicated on the previous Maple thread that our coin now is being offered by Talisman for $800 through their website and $900 through their Bay Store. I found other listings in the 500 – 700 range. I think we did pretty well with the purchases we made 2 months ago!! Even if there weren’t a perceived incease in value, I still am very, very pleased with this acquisition. Another permanent home in my collection.

I agree VABEACHBUM. It’s an awesome coin esp. at the price point we paid which will not be seen again, but I must say I am puzzled by the $800-900 prices when several other sellers have it for substantially less.
    By the way, what do you think of the 4 coin rectangular horse set? I think it looks nice, but I can only afford the HR horse and may even wait a bit on that and see if it comes down. AS you will all see tomorrow, there is a very nice colored caribou from RCM, but with the Mt. Rushmore coins coming this week, I decided to pass. I find it helpful to ask oneself: 5 years down the road which coins will you likely care about?

@ Louis – I have’t bought into any of the previous Rectangular Sets, and am not inclined to start with this one. They have their niche, I’m sure, but they’re just not representative of either what or how I collect and, like you, I’ve had to be a little more diligent and selective w/ my acquisitions in 2013 – still having the last of the last of the ATBs and some other World issues left to explore while the transition to 2014 gains momentum.

WRT the revised pricing on the NIUE Horse, I have a feeling that they are down to their last 1-2 pieces in inventory, and want to see if a market demand will support those final sales. Still, if they had researched the market to identify the other, readily available, lower priced options that you and I had, their revised pricing probably could have been much more competitive and yet remained profitable.

VABB,

Glad to hear from you too. I also really like the Perth Mint’s high relief coins and generally try to scoop them up when they come out, but money has been tight this year and I was only able to pick up the Snake. I am grateful a set like this became available to let me get most of the 2013s. I think I have basically all of them except the 2010 kangaroo and the five ounce panda (which was grossly overpriced with the added offense of being a third party dealer exclusive, IMO).

@ C.O. – Understand completely about how and why you’re being selective. I know I have previously discussed on this blog how the outside forces have affected me in 2013.

Panda?? Or the 2013 5 oz Koala HR, which is exactly as you describe, and with which I agree completely!!! Interestly enough, that same franchisee has yet to list those coins in OGP on their website. Want potential customers to “make the call…” Pass.