Latvia 2013 “365” 1 Lats Silver Coin

The Bank of Latvia has released the 2013 “365” 1 Lats Silver Coin, which is intended to offer intellectual and scientific reflection on the topic of time and change. This also marks the end of the era of the renewed lats, ahead of the switch to the euro.

Latvia 2013 "365" 1 Lats Silver Coin

The obverse design includes a line around the circumference, which extends the full 360 plus an additional 5 degrees as a reference point for time with the year “2013” at the top. Concentric lines within the circle represent the time divisions of 1 second, 1 minute, 1 hour, 1 day, 1 month, and 1 year. Fractions based on the number four are incorporated to represent the seasons, points on the compass, and quarters. The inscription “LATVIJAS REPUBLIKA” appears in a semi circle near the base.

reverse

The reverse design consists of a pattern of lines which turn into circles, creating a representation of the number 1 for the denomination. The word “LATS” appears at the lower left portion of the design.

Each coin is struck in 92.5% silver to proof quality with a weight of 16.40 grams and diameter of 30.00 mm. The coins are struck by Koninklijke Nederlandse Munt (the Netherlands) and designed by Paulis Liepa. the mintage is 5,000 pieces.

I have particularly liked several of Latvia’s previous commemorative coins, which tend to take an innovative or uncharacteristic approach to the given subject creating extremely evocative designs.

2014 Coin of the Year Awards

Today, Krause Publications announced the category winners for their 2014 Coin of the Year Awards. A few of the choices were surprising and some 2012-dated coins which I particularly liked will not be receiving an award.

CoinUpdate.com carries an article with a list of the winners and full sized images of all of the coins.

Refer back to prior World Mint News Blog posts here and here for images of many of the nominees.

Comments

@ Louis – as coins go, it certainly is a different type of presentation. While it is interesting, I don’t think I’ll be going out of my way to get one, either.

Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the France “Best Silver” COTY that presents the Art Decco Ship in profile and across the bow?? Again, a very different type of presentation, but there’s nothing about it that captivates me. Even if it were declared the grand champion, I would not be inclined to pursue one for my collection.

2. Koichi Ito says

Since this is a last 1 Lats silver coin from Latvia. Is this commemorative silver coin is very good buy?

@Koichi Ito: That is a subjective question. You buy what you like and hope it goes up in value. I like Richard Wagner’s music and bought the coin because I liked it and IMHO it had great eye appeal. IMHO, you will need to answer your own question my friend. I got the Michelangelo/David because of eye appeal but had to send it back for a replacement due to quality issues. I could of gotten a refund but choice the coin because I liked it. Any coin you buy over spot is a gamble.

I have noticed Americans knowledge is VERY limited outside US or Canadian coins. It seems even those coins still have limited research and knowledge done. I don’t think people do their homework like they should in this hobby. I try to help where I can but I have been wrong and will continue to be wrong.

5. Koichi Ito says

What about Europeans, Asians, and Latin Americans? Does they know about Latvian silver commemoratives coins like this one?

@VAB- I like and collect the French great ships series and recommend them, but I probably would have chosen a different coin. I think the Hermonie, an old ship, and the Joan of Arc, a modern warship, are probably the best designs, but they all have appeal for me. They also make them in 5 oz versions with a 500 mintage. You can get the smaller ones for about $65 each if you shop around.

Hopefully anyone in the World who comes to this great blog and is a hobbyist would surely know about the coins Michael talks about and more…:)

8. Koichi Ito says

Wait until next year’s issues 2014. The issue of Latvian mint and proof set as well as five silver commemorative coins in 2014. That will be the first year of Latvia in euro issues.