Arrival: 2013 High Relief Piedfort 25th Anniversary Silver Maple Leaf

Included in last month’s new releases from the Royal Canadian Mint was the 2013 Silver High Relief Piedfort Coin issued to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the Silver Maple Leaf. The example of the coin that I ordered recently arrived.

maple-leaf

The reverse design features an arrangement of overlapping maple leaves with the uppermost leaf slightly tilted and serving as the focal point. The bed of leaves below utilize several different finishes to provide some interesting contrast and differentiation. The background fields are mirrored. A “25 yrs/ans” mark is incorporated into the design to commemorate the anniversary.

The reverse of the coin is struck in high relief providing more depth to the intricately engraved design. The coins are in “piedfort” format meaning that the coins are thicker than usual providing some unique character. The Royal Canadian Mint last offered a coin in piedfort format in 2010.

Each coin is struck in 99.99% silver with a weight of 31.39 grams and diameter of 34 mm. The coins carry the denomination of “5 Dollars” which has been used for the one ounce Silver Maple Leaf bullion coins since inception.

These coins is impressive in hand and is included among my favorite RCM product releases for the year.

The maximum mintage was 10,000 pieces with an ordering limit of 1 per household when offered on the RCM website. A quick sell out occurred, although the coins remain available from other sources close to the original issue price of $99.95.

This morning, the Royal Canadian Mint has started accepting pre-orders for their latest batch of new product releases. Logged in Master’s Club members can view the new products here. Full coverage will be provided once ordering opens for the general public on November 5.

Comments

Just received my Zeus 2 OZ NIUE…Stunningly beautiful coin done by the New Zealand Mint. Low serial number. The sides are reeded, really nice job NZ Mint! Very happy.

2. Dan in Fla says

I got a couple of these Piedfort Maple Leaf coins from the coin vault while awaiting stock at the RCM. They night still have some extras. Stunning coins and no limits.

3. VARich says

VABB / FM – going back to the Australian Southern Sky coin that you picked up, if I may ask, where’s the best place you all are going to pick these and other world coins up, directly from the respective mint or the same retailers for US coins? By ‘best,’ I guess I mean consistently has them at a good price. Thanks

Definitely a nice add to your collection, Michael. As I had commented on Louis’ CW article earlier this week, I took delivery of two of these beauties, at cost, from an RCM distributor on Monday. When I opened the package, I was captivated immediately: a hefty, well struck piece with great eye appeal. The graphic renditions for this coin simply do not convey the subtleties of the finishes and the overall beauty. And yours is probably the best photo that I have seen that genuinely captures the coin’s actual appearance. This coin will have a permenant home in my collection!!

@VAB- Thanks for your comment, and I of course agree this is a really nice piece. I think the RCM issues so many coins that it can seem overwhelming, but coins like this one really standout. I also like the fractional silver ML sets from this year and last year.
    @Samuel- I waited and found the HR elephant (2013) for $77, which is the best price I have seen. Are you getting the 2014 HR coin? So far the best I have seen is about $95 but they will probably be cheaper later.

Louis, the 13 HR u can find at $79 for a graded 69. since i have enough in ogp, i will pass. i m not in a hurry for the 14 coins yet. the 14 elephant is not that impressive as previous yrs.

@ VARich – How I source my coins is a combination of Mint, Specific Coin, Population and Level of Interest. Granted, direct from the Mint is preferred (e.g., RAM for my CRUX and PAVO), but there are times when a coin’s limited mintage and extreme popularity (like this Piedfort) just won’t allow that to happen. At that point, I look to the authorized distributors and some retailers.

Currently at the top of my list for Canadian Coins is Gatewest and Talisman, while Talisman also supports many other World Mint Products (Perth, RAM, U.K., etc). I had been using ECI (US arm of Downies) as a secondary source for Aussie coins, but Downies has since consolidated them back to the Southern Continent, and I haven’t used them since. MCM has brought many of their prices for OGP issues in line with other sellers, but you take a chance on buying picked-through coins. Last but not least, there are bargains to be had on the Bay, but you need to be very particular about the Sellers, their feedback, and the pictures of their products. Hope this helps.

@ Louis – We do seem to be like-minded. I picked up the 2013 RP Fractional Maples about 8 months ago, and took delivery of my 2014 Gilt Fractional Maples yesterday. Both sets are lovely!!

@ Samuel – Not sure if your prefer OGP or graded coins, but MCM has dropped the price on the PR70 HR Somali Elephant some $20 over the past 2 weeks. If you have not acquired one yet, this might be worth considering. I don’t follow the elephants, per se. I picked up this coin in OGP to support my growing HR Coin typeset. It really is a great coin.

VABB, thanks for the info. i prefer OGP, but when price is right, i dont mind picking up some slabbed ones. it seems not many people like the HR elephant, it is said the mintage is 1000, but they keep lowering the price?

@ Samuel – I have been following that, as well. This HR is not nearly as pronounced as some of the RCM or Perth HR coins, but it is still a very different strike as compared to the standard Somali Elephant coin, and makes the coin look so much better.

10. VARich says

Thanks VABB – really appreciate the insight! I see some of these these world coins are quite specular.., and that I’ve been late to the game. Have some homework to do this evening searching around.. Cheers!

@VARich: I do not own the Southern Sky. But for World coins, like mentioned above, I use the Bay, but am careful by looking to feedback etc before. Paypal protection is nice, they issue a refund fast if you are not happy! Talisman for Canada, no issues at all.

I can also add that I will never order from the Royal Mint direct again either. Save yourself the hassle unless it is bound to be a stunner, still can get after market.

OT,about my Zeus coin. There is a little part to the bottom of the pillars that comes out and is held in by magnet! I felt it pull when I went to insert it back and had a freak out like I bought plated metal and it was attaching to the coin itself, BUT, I took the coin out and inserted it again and the magnet is built into the pillars. .999 pure high relief stunning silver. Whew. Was funny/scary for Halloween.

Also, REEDED edge to that huge rectangular coin. Easily one of my favorite additions so far.

FYI, MCM is right by NGC and sends all their stuff in for grading. If you don’t buy slabbed from MCM, it didn’t make the Grade!

I just popped on one of these Michael. You sold me! Ha! Beautiful and I do not see a decrease in value too much for this offering. Hopefully up up and away…

Did you notice the Royal Scand. Mint website is using a link to your coin talk for more information in English about their coins Michael? Kind of nice to see that, at least I would be proud…

18. VARich says

Thanks for the input FM – I picked one up as well, can’t wait to see the see all the frosting contrast in this one and may be kicking myself for not getting one slabbed. Went with S’towne for $99, well see what show’s up.

One thing is for certain, I need to do some homework on the RCM releases.., there sure is a lot and it’s kinda of confusing with all the variations, but I guess that’s half the fun!

Yes VARich, RCM is pumping them out in droves these days, no doubt! I got mine from Talisman on the bay and they dropped the price a cpl dollars right after. I emailed them very nicely, they responded they appreciated the way I approcahed my request for a partial refund and quickly issued it AND mailed it on a Sat. and it has already arrived in my home town. Ordered it Sat. Great service Talis