Perth Mint Year of the Horse Gold and Silver Proof Coins, Next Opal Series Release

The Perth Mint has started accepting orders for their latest round of new product releases. This is highlighted by the 2014 Year of the Horse Gold and Silver Proof Coins, which feature the new designs revealed  late last month. Other new products include the latest releases in the Australian Opal Series and Famous Ship That Never Sailed series, and new Australian Songbird stamp and coin covers.

For collectors within the United States, sales have opened as of September 2, 2013 at 12:01 Noon ET. These coins can all be found as the first entries within the recent releases section of the Perth Mint’s website.

Year of the Horse Silver Proof Coin

Perth Mint Product Page

The Year of the Horse Silver Proof Coins feature a design of two horses standing within a stylized Chinese landscape. Four different sizes are offered across four packaging options.

There are 1/2 oz proof coins with a maximum mintage of 9,000 coins, 1 oz proof coins with a maximum mintage of 8,500, 2 oz proof coins with a maximum mintage of 2,000, and 1 kilo proof coins with a maximum mintage of 500 coins.

Separate issue limits are established for the packaging options released today. The individual 1/2 oz coins are limited to 8,000, the individual 1 oz coins are limited to 5,000, a three-coin set including 2 oz, 1 oz, and 1/2 oz coins is limited to 1,000 units. The individual 1 kilo proof coin is issued at the full mintage limit of 500.

In past years, the three-coin sets and individual 1 oz coins have been quick sell outs.

2014 Year of the Horse Gold Proof Coin

Perth Mint product page

The Year of the Horse Gold Proof Coins feature a design of one horse galloping within a stylized scene of mountains and clouds.Three different sizes are offered across four packaging options.

There are 1/10 oz proof coins with a maximum mintage of 8,000 coins, 1/4 oz proof coins with a maximum mintage of 8,000, and 1 oz proof coins with a maximum mintage of 6,000 coins.

Separate issue limits are established for the packaging options released today. The individual 1/10 oz coins are limited to 5,000, the individual 1/4 oz coins are limited to 5,000, the individual 1 oz proof coins are limited to 3,000, and a three-coin set including 1/10 oz, 1/4 oz, and 1 oz coins is limited to 3,000 units. These products comprise the entire maximum mintage amounts for each coin.

Pygmy Possum Opal Series Coin

Perth Mint Product page

The latest release within the Australian Opal Series features the Pygmy Possum. The 1 oz 99.9% silver proof coin incorporates an inner panel design depicting a pygmy possum on banksia branch in pure Australian opal. The outer panel depicts banksia leaves and blossoms, a waxing gibbous moon, and the Southern Cross star formation.

These coins are limited to a mintage of 8,000 pieces. All three of the previous coins of the series featuring the Koala, Wombat, and Kangaroo have sold out.

The Demeter Silver Coin

Perth Mint product page

The latest release in the Famous Ships That Never Sailed series features the Demeter from Bram Stoker’s novel Dracula. The reverse design of the coin features a representation of the Demeter and the cliff top Whitby Abbey surrounded by vampire bats with a full moon in the background.

The 1 oz 99.9% pure silver proof coin is limited to a mintage of 3,000 pieces. The two previous releases of the series featuring the Flying Dutchman and Pequod have both sold out.

Additional new product releases for this month include:

Update: The 2014 Year of the Horse Three-Coin Set is currently listed as “unavailable” on the Perth Mint’s website. In the past some popular products have quickly changed status to “unavailable” after the initial rush of orders from US-based customers. Sales have later re-opened for some of these unavailable coins around 8:00 AM Perth Time (8:00 PM ET).

Comments

Question? I am looking at the new series of Gladiator Fiji coins. Before I pull the trigger I am trying to find out more about the series like what is the projected amount of offerings for this series? I have looked on the web for information but cannot find anything but the first coin being sold. Any help would be greatly appreciated….

fm, the coin has been on sale for at least 3 or 4 weeks, right? for 500 coins, if it lasts that long, it means something.

Actually the mintage is 999 and it is sold out at the Mint…I just want to find out who mints them and what is the projected amount of offerings for the series…

It is not on the New Zealand Mint website AT ALL…I don’t know who else would be minting these 2013 fiji coins.

fm, this kind of coin wont show up at mint’s website. they r sold out, but sold out to dealers, not collectors.

6. Rolling-Thunder says

Schalk & Samuel
    Info I received from Royal Mint indicates they are awaiting stock on George & Dragon silver coin and wait time is 2-3 weeks for orders “in progress”

Waiting to see when/where the 2,500 block order turns up?

@ R.T., Samuel, Schalk, C.O. and Louis – Seeing the mentions of the St G and Dragon coin reminded me to check on my order. Currently shows order as completed. Confirmed my CC was billed full amount on 8/14. As of today, no delivery and no hold notices from my local post office. Neither of my Britannia coins took this long to deliver subsequent to the CC charge.

EVEN MORE INTERESTING – New on the Royal Mint site is their product listing for a limited issue, “20 GB-pS for 20 GB-pS 1/2 oz Silver St G and Dragon Coin.” Details are here:

Population of 250K strikes to start shipping late October. NO SALES TO US CUSTOMERS. Currently no references on either Downies or ECI.

Here we go again with the mis information to the kind folks in the UK with the 20 for 20 program. Can’t wait for someone to try and spend it or get a 20 pound note and are told they have to wait 6 months!! Stay tuned!

They of course covered themselves with the 3 per household so they will never be on the hook for more than 60 pounds if redeemed. Smart marketing.

10. Count von Blah says

I have to say I’m not impressed with how the uk mint shipped their merchandise. It was in a cheap envelope that anyone could have opened up and put back together without anyone else knowing, and some of the boxes got crushed. Also, they said “In 1887 the design was once again struck on a silver crown and was last minted in the coronation year of Edward VII. Pistrucci’s St George – one of the most famous coin designs in the world – has not been struck in silver since.” And now they’re putting the st george design on a few other coins. This’ll be the last time I order from them.

11. Schalk says

Personally I believe that the 250k 1/2 oz uncirculated Pistrucci coins enhance the desirability of the 10k proof coin.

@ The Count – One Pistrucci Coin. Ah, Ah, Ah. TWO! Pistrucci Coins. Ah, Ah, Ah. THREE!! Three Silver Pistrucci Coins…. Sorry, but I could not resist! Any way, there is no doubt that the RM saw the opportunity to cash in on a success story, and latched on immediately with a reasonably priced, high interest item. I can’t recall the last time the RM have seen this level of extended sales activity. I was ready to buy three until their website blurted out, “None for the Yanks!!”

@ Schalk – Agreed on the secondary impact to the 5-pnd PR Commemorative. I’m still hoping to acquire one or more of these RM, 1/2 oz 20/20 issues through distributors and after-markets.

Just to be clear, it’s not “No Americans welcome” but rather no international sales. The RCM does this too such as on the forthcoming Superman coins and stamps. I don’t like it either but fortunately I found a UK coin friend who is willing to order one for me when he gets his. I am sure they will be available later though who knows at what premium. I do not see this taking anything away from the royal birth coin at all.

@VAB- My last UK order took longer than expected too. This may not apply, but Samuel was right about the labels. They only list the state and zip though the customs form lists the country too. Feel free to contact customer service who will track it for you. They did that for me and naturally it came that day!