Perth Mint New Product Releases August 2013

The Perth Mint has opened orders for their latest batch of new product releases. This month’s new products include the final coins within the Birds of Australia, Land Down Under, and Seasons series. The 2013 Discover Australia Gold Proof Coins and 2013 High Relief Proof Silver Koala are also available.

For collectors within the United States, sales have opened as of August 6, 2013 at 12:01 Noon ET. These coins can all be found as the first entries within the recent releases section of the Perth Mint’s website.

Splendid Fairy-wren Silver Coin

Product page

The final release of the Birds of Australia series features the Splendid Fairy-wren. The reverse design of the coin features a colored depictions of the male of the species with blue breeding plumage and the mainly gray-brown female of the species with Australian vegetation in the background.

Each coin is struck in 1/2 ounce of 99.9% silver with a maximum mintage of 10,000 pieces.

The previous releases of the series have featured the Red-Tailed Black-Cockatoo, Budgerigar, Regent Bowerbird, and Rainbow Lorikeet. These four coins remain available for sale and can be found on the page dedicated to the series.

Land Down Under Surfing Coins

Product pages – Silver CoinGold Coin

The Land Down Under series showcases different aspects of Australia’s discovery, ancient culture, lifestyle, and landmarks. The fourth and final coins in the series feature surfing, with different designs on silver and gold coins.

The silver coin depicts a male surfer with his board looking out towards the ocean, which is framed within a map-shape of Australia. This coin is struck to proof quality in 1 oz of 99.9% pure silver with a diameter of 40.60 mm and mintage limit of 5,000 pieces.

The gold coin features a female surfer riding an ocean wave. This coin is struck to proof quality in  1/4 ounce of 99.99% pure gold with a diameter of 20.60 mm and mintage limit of 1,000 pieces. The coins come housed in a unique Australian map-shaped latex case in an illustrated shipper
with numbered certificates of authenticity.

The previous releases of the series have featured the Sydney Opera House, the Didgeridoo, and Captain James Cook. With the exception of the silver options for the Sydney Opera House, these coins remain available for sale and can be found on the page dedicated to the series.

Australian Seasons Spring Silver Coin

Product page

The series depicting the Australian Seasons reaches its fourth release with the coin for Spring, which occurs in the months of September, October, and November. The reverse design of the coin features two White Cockatoos, framed by Banksia and Wax flowers

Each coin is struck in 1 ounce of 99.9% pure silver to proof quality with dimensions of 33.20 mm x 33.20 mm and a maximum mintage of 5,000 pieces. The packaging consists of a clear presentation case with illustrated shipper and numbered certificate of authenticity.

The three previous releases of the series remain available for sale and can be found on the page dedicated to the series.

2013 Discover Australia Gold Coins

Product page

The 2013 Discover Australia Gold Proof Coin series includes three different designs, which appear across four limit mintage coins.

The reverse design of the first coin features an adult kangaroo set against a bush scene and track. The kangaroo design is available in 1/2 oz. size with a maximum mintage of 550 pieces. An issue limit of 50 pieces has been set for the individual option.

The next design features and adult kookaburra resting in a tree. The kookaburra design is also available only in 1/2 oz. size with a maximum mintage of 550 pieces. An issue limit of 50 pieces applies to the individual option.

The final design features an adult koala peering through the branches of a eucalyptus tree. The koala design is available in either 1/10 oz. or 1/2 oz. sizes, each with a maximum mintage of 550 pieces. The Perth Mint has set issue limits of 50 pieces for the 1/2 oz size and 300 pieces for the 1/10 oz size.

These coins are indicated as available worldwide, excluding the United States.

Australian Koala Silver Coin

Product page

The 2013 Australian Koala 1 oz Silver Proof High Relief Coin features a depiction of an adult koala sitting on the branch of a eucalyptus tree rendered in high relief. As with other Perth Mint high relief coins, both the obverse and reverse are minted on concave surfaces to ensure optimum metal flow and make for a stunning appearance.

A maximum mintage of 10,000 pieces has been established with an issue limit of 9,000 for the current release.

The coin is indicated as available worldwide, excluding the United States.

Other new product releases for this month include:

• Young Collectors Skiing 2013 $1 Coin in Card
  • Bush Babies II Wombat 2013 Stamp and Coin Cover

Comments

1. nick says

why are the fractional gold koalas not available to the U.S.??? I would love to get a 1/10 oz koala to put next to my 1/10 oz eagle

2. Frankie says

marketing joke…
    but you can get the 1/10oz gold koala from talismancoins and the 1/2oz gold koala from silber-corner.de

3. im just a bill says

looking forward to the 2014’s from perth…

september; lunars and the kook
    november; koala

The horse coins are going to be great. Horses are a much better looking animal than snakes.

By the way, I received my 1 oz proof Britannia today. Beautiful coin and fast, secure shipping.

5. Patrick says

I am tempted to go for the 1/4 oz gold surfer coin. Has anybody purchased any of the 1/4 oz gold coins from the Land Down Under series? If so, what do you think of the coins? Thanks!

6. Shutter says

That really depends on the execution. The 2002 Perth Lunar Horse was a bit underwhelming. OTOH, 2013 Australian Stock Horse looks very nice.

7. dan says

In reference to australian coins in general, does anyone know a good book on their coins and approximate values that is recent and still available. Also is their much of a collector base in australia because I am surprised sometimes too see low mintage coins, other than the dragons last year, to be available as long as they are since they do come up with some great coins.. Last but not least, anyone know of a great australian blog site like this one??? Thanks for the help.

IMHO that splendid fairy wren is a cool looking coin for a colorized BUT again IMHO the background seems a bit too bare for THIS coin. The clear mirror like back fields play a great role depending on the design and this one just seemed to mis the mark for me. Seems something could have been added in the background there. Symbols, stars, trees, sunset, something…Unavailable to the USA is rather sad but I understand the idea of letting the local dealers sell them to us. They need to make a living too.

I do own the The 2013 Australian Koala 1 oz Silver Proof High Relief Coin in PF70 ER NGC and I must say it is one beautiful coin. Cannot wait for the US Mint to implement HR’s into their offerings. They have been working closely with Perth and others to figure out logistical plans for upcoming offerings, that is a fact jack.

Looks like Perth added a disclaimer in RED for USA customers to buy direct from NY Mint with their phone number.

Customers in the USA can purchase the coins from the New York Mint 800-642-9160.

The problem is if you call NY Mint to order they will never leave you alone. They will keep badgering you with calls and catalogs. They are a hard sell company. On the other hand, if a company like Paradise, which got the HR Kooks, was the one selling, it would be fine. I will pass unless they show up later in a non-hard sell environment at a fair price.

@Shutter- I was basing my comment on actual 2014 horse coins that I own like the Tokelau one, which is excellent, and which has gone up a lot since I bought it at a silver eagle price a couple weeks ago, and coins like the Palau gilded high relief, which also looks very nice in the pics.

@ Louis – Agreed 100% on your NYM assessment. None the wiser at the time, I got on their list when I purchased the 2012 HR Koala in OGP. Fair pricing (for that item) and related shipping costs but, WOW, the additional, intangible costs I have paid since then. At least one email a week, at least one postal mailer every two weeks, at least one phone call every month, and at least one catalogue every 6-8 weeks; all related to their severely overpriced, underwhelming products. If and when they list the 2013 Koala on their website, I might consider buying it from them. Otherwise, I will find it somewhere else – ECI probably. However, I will not call the NYM offices – NEVER!!

Similarly, NYM currently is the sole US distributor of the 5 oz HR Koala and, as much as I would like to add that coin to my collection, they only offer it through phone sale. Consequently, I’m chosing to do without in lieu of other options. With Silver down and some people clearing inventory, they show up on The Bay every once in a while. Just have to be carefully selective.

13. Shutter says

There is no doubt that it is possible to design beautiful coins with a horse on them. It is also possible to go in a different direction. In about a month, we’ll know which way Perth is going for 2014.

14. Shutter says

I agree with most of the comments regarding NYMint/GovMint. But really, how hard is it to deal with emails and catalogs. All of their email get automatically get sent into the spam folder by my email agent and as for catalogs, my city sends Waste Management folks round every week to pick them up and dispose in whatever manner they desire.

Phone calls are more difficult, but when they called me, I was perfectly honest. I told them that I had no intention of ever buying anything else from them and they were wasting their time on me. After 2-3 calls they stopped. Probably just moved on to a more pliant mark.

Still if given a choice, I’d rather deal with another company if possible.