Perth Mint New Product Releases for March 2013

The Perth Mint of Australia has started accepting orders for a batch of new product releases. This includes the latest releases in the Australian Opal and Australian Antarctic series, special edition coins from “Land Down Under” series covered yesterday, and two interesting releases which unfortunately do not seem to be available for ordering in the United States.

For collectors in the U.S., sales will begin at February 28, 2013 at 11:01 AM ET. These coins can all be found as the first entries within the recent releases section on the Perth Mint’s website.

Opal Kangaroo Coin

Perth Mint Product Page

The third release of the Australian Opal series features the Kangaroo. This series which began in February 2012 has showcased nocturnal Australian animals crafted in pure Australian opal. The previous coins have depicted the Koala and the Wombat.

The latest release features the iconic kangaroo detailed within an inner panel of opal. The outer panel of the coin depicts Sturts Desert Pea leaves and blossoms, the first crescent moon, and the South Cross star group. Each coin contains 1 troy ounce of silver content and has a diameter of 36.60 mm.

The coins are packaged in a display case with a light that turns on when the case is opened. An illustrated shipper and numbered certificate of authenticity are also included. The maximum mintage is 8,000, the same level as the previous sold out releases of the series. There is a limit of one per member  for the start of sales.

2013 Australian Antarctic Series Aurora Australis

Perth Mint Product Page

The tenth release in the long running Australian Antarctic Territory series features the Aurora Australis. This dramatic display of colored light can be seen in the night sky above the polar regions in the southern hemisphere.

The reverse design depicts a snowfield with a vehicle in the distance and  person watching the night sky. A colored representation of Aurora Australis is shown, which has been colored with glow in the dark ink. The image is framed within the map shape of Australia. This represents the first “glow in the dark” silver coin produced by the Perth Mint.

Each coin is struck in 1 oz of 99.9 silver and comes in a presentation case with outer shipper and numbered certificate of authenticity. The mintage is limited to 7,500 coins.

High Relief silver koala

Perth Mint Product Page

The Perth Mint is offering a 5 oz. proof version of the 2013 Silver Koala struck in high relief. Unfortunately, this coin is listed as available in Australia only.

The mintage limit is 5,000 pieces.

25th Anniversary Platinum Koala

Perth Mint Product Page

Another product release which is excluded for customers in the United States is the 25th Anniversary Platinum Koala Coin and Medallion Set. The 1/2 oz. platinum coin replicates the original coin’s reverse design and is accompanied by a 1/2 oz. silver medallion, as it was first presented in 1988.

The maximum mintage for this set is limited to 1,200.

Additional new releases for this month include:

Comments

1. Frankie says

I really like the kangaroo opal coin. Given the popularity of the kangaroo on coins per se this coin looks like a winner to me despite the lack of interest in PM offerings as of late.
    The “glow in the dark” will depend on the actual effect. It’s hard to tell how good/bad it is until you hold it in your own hand.
    Well, the 5oz HR Koala looks good, but the high mintage and most likely price will prevent me from purchasing it. I reckon it’ll be around $350-400.

2. G says

The Opal coin will be added to the series- I’m still collecting it. Once the negative hangover of the mintage number fiasco wears off, I think the Perth mint quality offerings will do well.

3. im just a bill says

5oz Koala h/r
    Maximum Diameter (mm) 50.60
    Maximum Thickness (mm) 12.50

5oz Lunar Snake
    Maximum Diameter (mm) 65.60
    Maximum Thickness (mm) 5.80

So it is over twice as thick as the snake.

Is this the first h/r coin more than 1 oz?

4. Schalk says

The 5oz Koala h/r is a NY Mint coin collaboration – cherry picked for NGC. It is available from Downies for $510.00 only to Australians.

5. im just a bill says

“$498 for 5 oz of silver is crazy no matter how nice the coin is.”

Tell that to the people paying $600 for the Hawaii’ P puck.

IMO this will be the equivalent of the first kangaroo h/r coin in 2010 and the first kangaroo @ sunset coin in 2009. The cost for these coins are in the $200 range for one ounce of silver. Thus, the first ever h/r larger than 1 oz will command at least $1000 in a year or two.

6. Schalk says

Here is my take on world coins:

We are fortunate in the US that we can pay “close-to-bullion” prices for silver proof coins originating from the US. Other parts of the world are not that lucky, they pay, as a rule of thumb, $100.00 for each ounce of proof coin released by their mints. Most of the time, those proof coins released by their mints have minuscule mintages compared to US coins, hence the price hikes (not that it is necessary justified), however, Chinese coins remain expensive, regardless of mintage – I suppose they have a billion potential customers! In some cases these international coins reach very high premiums – higher than any us coin. Just look at this live auction:

…and, take a look at what Tiffany class coins from Palau go for – absolutely insane – more than what a 100 year US coin (excellent condition) coin will go for!

Be that as it may, world mintages from world mints are considerably lower than that of the US, therefore some price hikes in production. Perth mint, on average, have a mintage of 5000 coins per issue – and they will be sold at $100 + per ounce – it is you, the collector, that have to make the decision whether you buy in or not!

7. M says

The Platinum Koala is also a NY Mint product. They have 1000 of the 1200. NY Mint comes up with the concept for these products. They listened it seems to requests for a high relief in the larger 5 ounce size. It is stunning. They don’t necessarily cherry pick..they just request that grades be 69, 70, or Gem Proof. Most modern issues are always 69 or 70.

8. M says

Actually it seems that 4,700 HR Koalas went to the USA…but NYM only has 1000 graded thus far. They may offer them in boxes or graded without the premium ‘First 1000 Struck” label.

9. M says

In response to world mint coin prices…keep in mind the US Mint is subsidized by the taxpayer. Perth Mint and others are essentially private corporations. Also, just think how much we would have to pay if the US Mint offered a 5 ounce silver eagle in a mintage of 5000.

It is absolutely incorrect that the Mint is subsidized by the taxpayer. In fact, coin collectors help pay down the deficit and debt. Read this statement which appears on the U.S. Mint’s web site:

“The United States Mint’s numismatic programs are self-sustaining and operate at no cost to the taxpayer.”

The Mint is a profit-making entity, just like foreign mints, even though it is part of the government. Every year a portion of the Mint’s profits are returned to the Treasury to reduce the size of the debt and deficit. This is in the Mint’s annual reports.

11. M says

I stand corrected on the taxpayer bit but I do not think US Mint is a profit seeking business. They cover their costs and provide funds to the groups represented on commems. But I don’t think they are fully a profit seeking business like Perth. Nor does US Mint invest in the R&D that some of the world mints do to create their products.

i did not buy the 5oz HR koala because i dont like the theme. if it is a 5oz sydney cove…….

M- If you take the commemorative programs, first, it is Congress that requires that a surcharge go to the groups, but the cost to produce the coin must first be recouped, or no surcharges are sent, and even with the surcharges, the Mint still turns a profit on those coins.
    Yes, our Mint is certainly different from other mints in various ways, most signif., in terms of being required to mint what the Congress requires it to mint, but you can go to the annual reports and see our Mint turns a profit on everything. Some of those profits are used to fund other Mint programs (as I am sure Perth and others do too), and some goes back to the Treasury to reduce the deficit.
    The main difference is our Mint (at least in theory, as it does not seem to follow this these days) is supposed to keep prices down, not to maxmimize them as many other mints do, in order to allow the coins to be distributed widely
    By the way, Perth is not privately owned, it is owned by the government of Western Australia and it also has to follow some government edicts, but again not the extent that our mint does.

14. M says

I wish I could post some pics…I am holding a NY Mint graded high relief Koala as I type. Stunning. Though its not my favorite Koala design. It looks like the design was chopped up to fit on a coin. But still stunning.

15. Schalk says

M

What did you pay for the 5oz H/R Koala? Is it graded? … or do you work for NY Mint?

16. M says

No I don’t work for NYM. I wish I did ;). I live about 1300 miles from MN. The Koalas are graded “First 1000 struck” $700-$950. They will offer the others as just normal graded and possibly mint boxed. I was glad to see NYM finally sending these with a custom wood box…one of few that will hold the new mini-oversized slabs from NGC. I used to order stuff from the Washington Mint in the 90’s. I like exonumia. WM used Asset Marketing (Preferred Customer Service) as a contractor who took orders and marketed related exclusives. Some of the coin sets always sounded so cool…like Gold Bahamas Flamingos in a nice wood case. These old displays were made in USA. Asset quality was top notch. I am glad they are offering stuff like in the past. NY Mint was purchased by Asset in 2010. I think Asset will use the NYM name and fold the GovMint and First Federal into it. Just my guess…based on the trademarks that are public knowledge at uspto.gov.

17. M says

Looks like NYM released the other 4000 regular graded high relief Koalas. Probably much cheaper than the first 1000 struck labels.

18. M says

To update my previous posts….NYM allowed me to return my NGC PR69 High Relief Koala that was a “First 1000 Struck.” That label does not really mean anything to me. I love a nice label and slab but I wanted a PR70 and ordered the newer offer of non First 1000 from NYM. $1050 for PR70. Exclusive Label…custom laquered wood chest that holds the large NGC slab lined in blue velvet. This case is nice than the others I have seen on the market. It was developed by NYM. As a bonus…NYM sends you the Perth packaging for the raw coin as well. Its mint as it never held the coin..Perth ships them bulk to NYM..and the coins go to NGC. Overall I am very pleased. I’m sure I paid way too much. But its for my enjoyment and I dont plan to sell unless I have to one day. I like all aspects of collecting including nice custom packaging etc. Some of the smaller dealers will ship original packaging but you can tell they rushed through to get the coins out (torn box tabs)