Perth Mint New Product Releases February 2013

The Perth Mint has started accepting orders for another batch of new product releases. This includes the 2013 Year of the Snake 5 oz. silver proof coin and two coins to mark the 60th anniversary of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. The latest releases are available within the ongoing Dragons of Legend, Birds of Australia, and Australian Seasons series. A brand new series debuts with the first coins featuring the Sydney Opera House.

For collectors in the United States, sales will begin at January 31, 2013 at 11:01 AM ET. These coins can all be found as the first entries within the recent releases section on the Perth Mint’s website.

Perth Mint Product Page

The new products begin with the Australian Lunar series 2013 Year of the Snake 5 oz. Silver Proof Coin. The design depicts a snake curled around a tree branch that has been seen on the previous Lunar series numismatic and bullion silver coins.

This latest release is struck in 5 troy ounces of 99.9% pure silver to proof quality. The diameter of each coin is 65.60 mm and the maximum mintage is 5,000 pieces. Each coin comes in a presentation case with illustrated shipper and numbered certificate of authenticity.

Perth Mint Product Pages for Silver Coin and Gold Coin

The next release celebrates the 60th anniversary of the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II on gold and silver coins. The 1 oz Silver coin features Sir Cecil Beaton’s official Coronation portrait of Queen Elizabeth II in color. The inscriptions include “Anniversary of Coronation”, the dates “1953-2013”, and the metal content and purity. The 1/4 oz. Gold Coin features a struck impression of Queen Elizabeth II in ceremonial regalia, as captured by Sir Cecil Beaton.

Both coins feature the Ian Rank-Broadley effigy of the Queen on the obverse with the “2013” date.

The silver coin is offered individually with an issue limit of 5,000 pieces within this packaging. An overall mintage limit of 7,500 has been established. The gold coin is offered individually with a mintage limit of 1,000 pieces. Each coin comes in a display case with illustrated shipper and numbered certificate of authenticity.

Perth Mint Product Page

The latest release within the Dragons of Legend series features the European Green Dragon against a mountain scene. This coin is struck in 1 troy ounce 99.9% pure silver to proof quality. The mintage limit is 5,000 pieces.

This is the fifth and final coin in the series. All four previous releases featuring the Red Welsh Dragon, Chinese Dragon, St George and the Dragon, and Three-Headed Dragon have each sold out.

Perth Mint Product Page

The second release within the Australian Seasons series is available. The 1 oz. 99.9% pure silver square coin features an Autumn theme. In Australia, this season occurs in the months of March, April, and May. The design features a possom against an bush sunset.

The coins have a weight of 31.135 grams, and dimensions of 33.20 mm by 33.20 mm. A maximum mintage of 5,000 pieces has been established. The previous release featuring Summer is still available for sale.

Perth Mint Product Page

The third release within the Australian Birds series is available. The 1/2 oz. 99.9% pure silver coin features the Regent Bowerbird. The design features a male Regent Bowerbird in the foreground with a female in the background, along with representations of Australian vegetation.

The coins have a weight of 15.591 grams and diameter of 36.60 mm. The maximum mintage is 10,000 pieces. The previous releases of the series featuring the Red-Tailed Black-Cockatoo and Budgerigar still remain available for sale.

Perth Mint Product Pages for Silver Coin and Gold Coin

The Perth Mint begins a new one year series entitled “The Land Down Under” which will showcase aspects of Australia’s ancient culture, its discovery, lifestyle, and iconic landmarks. The first releases feature the Sydney Opera House, which is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The 1 oz. Silver Coin features the Sydney Opera House against a colored background of fireworks, which is framed within a map shape of Australia. This coin carries a limit of 5,000 pieces. The 1/4 oz Gold Coin depicts the opera house and harbor. This coin carries a limit of 1,000 pieces. Each coin is housed in a map-shaped case an accompanied by a numbered certificate of authenticity.

Additional new releases for this month also include:

All of these new Perth Mint product releases should start to appear within the recent releases section on the Perth Mint’s website at the start of sales.

As a reminder, in the past some of the most popular releases have quickly changed status to “unavailable” after the initial rush of orders from US based customers. For previous months, sales have re-opened for some of these unavailable coins around 8:30 AM Perth Time (7:30 PM ET).

Comments

1. Frankie says

YAAAAWWWNNN….
    But it looks like they lowered the price for at least one issue – last year’s Berlin dragon did cost $10 more than this year’s Berlin snake. Still, not worth buying imho.
    I’ll buy the latest DoL coin though. I might as well complete the series. But I know I’ll have to keep them until the next round of dragon coins in 2023/4 to break at least even…

2. Michael in Bama says

I just completed my DOL sets. I think The Perth Mint committed suicide with the 2oz lunar coins.

GREEDY MINT DIES OF SELF INFLICTED WOUND!

I hope the US Mint is paying attention!

Yeah, like everyone else so far, I completed my DOL series. I logged in at 11:10 AM, and completed the purchase in 5 minutes. With that, I’m done with the colored / electroplated coins. Future Perth offerings will be case by case, with a focus on their HR coins.

@ CO – See Michael’s second paragraph. You were 55 mintutes late this morning. W/ the time change, Perth is 13 hours ahead. Or, one day ahead; 11 hours behind.

4. Jeremy says

Didn’t even bother finishing the collection of the DOL and will be looking to get rid of them. Done with this mint!!!

Some of you have collected all five of the DoL series.

I’ve got several OGP left over from the Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary set. These are a great way to display your DoL set. Yes, the capsules are a little bit smaller, but they will still fit very well.

I use these 25th Anniversary OGP to house a lot of my other coins too.
    For example, I have the three coins from the New Zealand WWll Nose Art set along with my NZ Shark coin and the Perth “Barbie 50th Anniversary” coin in another 25th OGP holder.

6. T1 browserman says

What next Lunars III, IV, V ad infinitum….

The only one I like is the coronation which is numismatic/commerative/legal tender of HRM All others are ‘fun’ but expensive numismatics.

The 5 oz double the price of US AtBs ? Ag is Ag no matter where it’s minted or by whom. I’ve yet to comprehend these double/triple premiums on limited minted items from Perth and Royal.

I do like their marketing strategy of short series but unless you have the money to burn + shipping how can anyone get to appreciate a full collection without having to source the secondary market at some point in time.

The Royal has some very nice ‘coronation’ offerings coming up which I hope will be reviewed by WMNB.

7. saucexx says

I’ve cut back my Perth purchases. The games they were playing with their re-minting, endless minting etc turned me off.

Y’all need to keep up with the times. Perth no longer remints anything and is fully transparent about mintages.

@ Louis – off topic, but have you taken delivery of your 2013 Britannias? Based on comments in other threads, I’m interested in your thoughts on the quality of they new, 0.999 Bullion Coins. I’ve been watching for a related article from you, but have not seen anything yet. Thanks!!

10. Michael in Bama says

Dear Perth Mint,
    Thank you for not allowing me to purchase the 5oz proof Dragon last year!
    I would have felt like a fool paying $100/oz for that coin! I see they have the 5oz Snake proof now, I wounder how the sales are going since they made them available to everyone this year? I bet the NY Mint could have got a heck of a deal on these!………. RIP

I had a friend receive some 2013 Britannias. As reported elsewhere they are severely scratched. He is not too happy.

12. Saucexx says

Louis,

I’m fully aware they updated their policies, but the damage has been done. My feelings have not changed.

Apmex had the 5 oz dragon proof for $399. So yes Michael in Bama they did us a favor with their greedy ways. Funny enough I never even saw the product at NYM.

I’ve been waiting on an update for the 2013 Britannia’s. They have to fix the problem no?

@ Saucexx – I’d like to think they’re going to fix the problem. But, even though the citizens of GB also are outraged about the quality, the RM has re-focused this business line on investment bullion minted to demand.

Even with the previous, 0.925 alloy, the RM never intended for these UNC Britannias to be numismatic collectables. In reality, the limited populations for their 1998 to 2012 versions would beg to differ. Then there’s still the bigger unanswered question: Will the design continue to change with each new year? That was one of the big draws for this series, as each new version was a great presentation of a classical motiff.

I do not have my Britannias graded. However, in this situation, if you could come up with an MS69 or MS70 UNC 2013 Britannia, it might make a nice turn in a year or two.

14. Jeremy says

Saucexx,

Louis apparently doesn’t have the liberty to be objective considering he writes articles for some coin/mint news publication. He appears to ALWAYS attempt to reflect every mint, regardless of whatever nonsensical products or policies they offer or adhere to, positively. Telling people to “keep up with the times” seems a bit disrespectful. If people no longer care to do business with some institution because they feel/felt they weren’t being treated favorably, its their right!

15. Saucexx says

VBB,

If the RM decides to continue as is, is there any other bullion offered in comparable condition? I understand they consider it investment grade, but I’m hard pressed to think of another mint that would release their product in that condition.

I’m a big fan of Britannia’s and IMO they don’t get the respect I think they deserve. Then again they’re not doing themselves any favors with this “problem”.

Another question, since these are mint to demand are they releasing any mintage numbers or do we have to wait until they finish production?

16. Saucexx says

I didn’t take it personal, I understand the challenges of rebutting bad information on the internet. I really enjoy his insights among all the others who post in these comments. There’s a lot to learn by just reading. I also sympathize with those who may have invested time and money in Perth products to then find out collectors are turning away from their products.

None of that though will change my opinion regarding the way Perth had been treating their customers. From the lock outs, to the exclusive dealer sales, to the way they manipulated mintage levels and re-minted past products. The premiums Perth charges are considerably higher than other mints in a saturated marketplace. I would expect as a customer who has invested in their products, that they would have the responsibility to make sure my investment was not damaged by their actions. They showed no such inclination which is why I feel the way I do. And that stands even after they were forced by a customer backlash (or more likely declining sales) to declare final mintage numbers on prior products among the other changes they made.

17. Frankie says

re britannia: it is my understanding that different designs will be used for the unc and proof britannias to be released later in the year.

18. Jeremy says

Those are all complaints I’ve expressed in the past. However, the problem is when there isn’t any real critical analysis or understanding of issues the information presented or expressed can become untrustworthy and or lack credibility.

19. Bob A says

Yeah, I’m with most everyone. Kinda kicking myself for buying so many of the colorized: warriors, fish, birds, ships, snakes, dragons, tigers, pandas, whales, pengins, and so many more. I too will finish out the DoL series buying this last one. This new one? Phewie. The one I like a lot is the Santa Maria Ship. I have 8 of those. I do like the Red Welsh. But other than that. Boring. Oh well. Will have to wait a long time to see any kind of a return on these colorized collectibles. The gold gilded tigers on the other hand, those are nice, and demand seem to be good. But still need to pick them up at a discount (got mine for $65.00). Last the 2013 Brittanias are horrible. I have all years, and a stack of the 2003’s, 2010’s, and 1999’s. I bought just one 2013. Was NOT impressed.

20. ROS says

I have to say that the whole Britannia quality issue has educated me on the cozy relationships between Blogs, dealers and the Mints. They all need each other and act accordingly. I do not think you will see much of an effort to push the RM on this issue from any of these entity’s.

PS: ANY coin that is colorized is an money losing abomination. It’s like the Mint is laughing at you. Overheard in Perth creative meetings , “Mate, they will buy anything, even Barbie coins! Slap some paint on it, limit the mintage, we can always uuuhhhh “remint” (laughter throught the room)”.

21. Michael Zielinski says

As I said before, I have my UK based writer working on getting some response to the issues raised regarding the quality control of the Silver Britannia coins. He is working on getting in direct contact with the head of the bullion department.

In my opinion, this would be the best method for getting some actual details on the reasons for the decline in quality and any potential actions the Royal Mint will be taking to address it.

I thought about buying some coins and then doing a post on the quality, but I don’t like this approach unless I was able to buy or inspect a large enough sample.

Readers have voiced their concerns about the quality in the comments and they are free to continue to do so. I am not going to write about them until I have something substantive to add to the discussion.

22. Hidalgo says

I like some of the colored coins. They add variety to my collection. And I buy coins because I like to collect them. I certainly do not buy coins solely for investment purposes. I buy what I like. And if the value of the coin goes up, then that’s an added bonus. If the value of a coin goes down, then at least I have a coin that has sentimental/emotional value as well.