New Releases from the Perth Mint July 2012

Many new products went on sale at the Perth Mint today, including a special edition for the Dragons of Legend series, this year’s high relief silver proof Kangaroo coin, and new releases within the Australian Antarctic Territory, Deadly and Dangerous, and Wildlife in Need series.

These coins can all be found as the most recent entries within the recent releases section on the Perth Mint’s website.

A special edition coin has been released for the Dragons of Legend series. The regular series has featured the Red Welsh Dragon and Chinese Dragon on 1 ounce silver coins with a mintage limit of 5,000 each. Both of these were quick sell outs.

The special edition coin is struck in 5 ounces of .999 silver and features two dragons encircling a pearl against a fish motif. The mintage is limited to 1,000 pieces.

Perth Mint product page

The 2012 High Relief Silver Proof Kangaroo Coin is available. This is the third year that a high relief coin featuring the Kangaroo has been offered.

The reverse design features a kangaroo in the outback with a windmill in the background. This design is also used for the 2012 Gold Kangaroo coins. Similar to other high relief silver coins from the Perth Mint, the coins are made with a smaller diameter, extra deep blank for a dramatic impact.

This coin is limited to a mintage of 20,000 pieces. This is the same limit that was used for the 2011 High Relief Silver Kangaroo, which still remains available for sale.

Perth Mint product page

A new release for the “Deadly and Dangerous” series features the Funnel-web spider. The 2006 Red Back Spider release from this series currently fetches a huge premium on the secondary market. Other coins of the series have featured the Great White Shark, Blue Ringed Octopus, Saltwater Crocodile, Eastern  Brown Snake, and Australia’s Box Jellyfish.

The current release features the deadly Funnel Web Spider against a colored background of its web and leaves. An inscription above reads “Australia’s Funnel Web Spider”.

Each coin is struck in 1 troy ounce of .999 fine silver in proof quality. The mintage limit is 5,000 pieces. There is an initial ordering limit of one coin per member.

Perth Mint product page

The fifth and final release for the series entitled “Wildlife in Need” features the Siberian Tiger. Previous releases have featured the Giant Panda, Orangutan, Polar Bear, and Black Rhinoceros.

The current release depicts the Siberian Tiger and cub in color within a winter forest landscape. A pair of supporting hands appears in the lower portion of the design. The inscription above reads “Wildlife in Need – Siberian Tiger.”

Each coin is struck in 1 ounce of .999 silver in proof quality. The mintage is limited to 5,000 pieces.

Perth Mint product page

A new release within the “Australian Antarctic Territory” series features the Emperor Penguin. The reverse design features a colored image of Emperor Penguins and two chicks standing on ice flows. The image appears within an outline of Antarctica.

Each coin is struck from 1 troy ounce of .999 fine silver in proof quality. The mintage limit of 7,500 coins. There is an initial ordering limit of one coin per member.

Perth Mint product page

Additional New Releases include:

• Australian Koala 2012 Gold Proof Coins (not available in USA)
  • Australian Bush Babies II Kookaburra Silver Coin
  • 2012 Young Collectors Animal Athletes Cheetah $1 Coin
  • Celebrate Australia 2012 $1 Coins

Comments

Ikaika,

I agree on their sales being hurt. I’d be curious to know how many of the five ounce proof dragons got sold to New York Mint, and what allocation was saved for the Perth website. I’d be surprised if Perth retained more than 2,000 (and I think the number is probably more like 500-1000).

I also have to wonder what the long wait, combined with eBay availability, is going to do to New York Mint’s sales when the coins are finally made available.

2. Ikaika says

@ Captain

Yes, it will be interesting to see how sales unfold at NY Mint. One thing is sure: prices have been going down in the secondary market. I saw one go for around $411 at the online auction. Many got turned off by the restriction to US customers.

3. saucexx says

I will under no circumstances buy the 5oz Proof from the NYM. I hope they choke on all the unsold product. I’ve mentioned before that I thought it was gouging considering the Perth Mint already has exorbitant premiums . Now NYM wants to tack on even more, no thanks. And I agree with CO, they better be careful they don’t alienate one of their biggest markets (U.S. buyers). I only have so much money to spend on coins and there is plenty of competition for my dollars out there. Not to mention at lower premiums.

Wow, again I was buying the Spider at Perth, and buy the time I submitted my order, it was too late….I mean WTF…that sucks when you can put something in your cart, but can’t complete the transaction….”that dog don’t hunt”

5. jeff72 says

G says:
    July 5, 2012 at 1:21 pm
    I am Bullish on that spider coin, big big big time.

“….me too”

APMEX has 100 spider’s available for $139.99 or $14419 via credit card….or $5 less if you buy 10 or more.

7. Broooster says

So, in the mail today was my UHR Kangaroo from Uber Coins. First time ordering from them, I read some sceptical remarks about Uber Coins, and was curious as to how this would play out. So, with great excitement I opened the little box and what did I find. I found a nicely packaged coin, the coin box had no fingernail marks from being opened and “cherry picked” and the coin is just awesome in hand. Looks much better than the picture and I am very pleased with this transaction.
    On a side note, I noticed they had the 2012 Great White coin listed, and I noticed a few ppl here mention it. Just a heads up.
    I will not hesitate to order from them in the future, all is well this go around with them.
    P.S. Thanks to the poster to mentioned them in a previous post, I don’t recall who it was at the moment.
    B

Thanks, Brooster. I believe it was Uncle Dave who recommended Uber. I am considering getting the new UHR Kangaroo too from them. The only thing I find a bit unusual is their selection seems pretty limited, but maybe they are relatively new.

off topic:
    anybody bought from “numiscollect dot eu:? they have many coins and reasonable price. just dont know the service.

10. Hidalgo says

Melbourne ANDA Coin Show Special – silver yellow dragon issued.

Talisman Coins is offering these coins. I am not going to buy one, but thought y’all might be interested. Limited to 5,000.

11. CW says

Are there any historical Australians of merit that might appear on their coinage? It is almost like they willfully ignore these people (who have to exist) in order to continue the obsessive queen worship. I mean it would really take a way from the queen, right, to have someone else on there [sarcasm]. Just my two cents, and I realize she has to be on there by law.

12. Shutter says

CW,

All those Kangaroos, Koalas, and Kookaburras are Australians. Dragons aren’t but Australian has a large East Asian population, so they may count also. One of the advantage of not having too many different people on coins, is you avoid truly ugly ones like Eliza Johnson and Eunice Schriver.