Birth or Baby Coins and Sets from World Mints

Since the United States Mint has launched a new “Birth Set” today, I thought it would be interesting to explore some of the birth or baby coins and sets offered by world mints. Whereas the US Mint is a new entrant into this space, other world mints have been producing specially themed legal tender coins or themed packaged sets for years.

Royal Australian Mint

According to their website, the Royal Australian Mint has been offering themed baby sets since 1993. The current theme features Dot and the Kangarroo, an Australian children’s story.

Both proof and uncirculated versions of the Baby Coin Set are available. Each set seems to include six different denomination coins in special packaging. The proof set includes a photo frame and baby book. The uncirculated set includes a photo frame, coin wallet, and medallion. A legal tender dollar coin carries a depiction of the author and some of the characters from the story.

Royal British Mint

The Royal British Mint has an entire section dedicated to gifts for births and Christenings. There are several different gift packs or gift sets available which include the 1p to £2 denominations in brilliant uncirculated quality. The coins are placed within specially designed folders or boxes.

On the higher end, they also offer a gold sovereign and gold quarter sovereign in special packaging for a baby. These seem to come in a special box with a booklet and are priced higher than the same coins in standard packaging.

Finally, there is also a “lucky silver penny” available. The coin is struck in 3.5 grams of sterling silver and comes in a special folder. A sterling silver £1 coin in special packaging is also available.

Royal Canadian Mint

The Royal Canadian Mint offers a Baby Gift Set. Each set includes six uncirculated coins (1c, 5c, 10c, 25c, $1, and $2). Five of the coins feature the standard circulation designs, while the 25-cent coin features a specially created baby-themed design.

For 2011, a similar set was available, which included a different specially designed 25-cent coin. The 2011 design was also used for a one-half ounce .9999 fine silver coin with a legal tender value of 4 Dollars.

Perth Mint

The Perth Mint has a special section of their product catalog containing baby gifts. The products include the uncirculated Baby Coin Set produced by the Royal Australian Mint and specially packaged 2012 Silver Koala and 2012 Silver Kookaburra Baby Coin Packs.

They also offer personalized medallions, which feature a lunar design or the Perth Mint logo on one side and a custom message on the other side.

Chinese Lunar Calendar Coins

A final gift option to consider for newborns are Chinese Lunar Calendar Coins. These are somewhat personalized since you can pick the animal corresponding to the baby’s date of birth. Numerous mints offer bullion or numismatic coins with Chinese lunar calendar themes.

My cousin is due to give birth to her first child this month. In addition to the baby clothes, etc that my wife will pick out, I selected the coin above for the newborn baby gift. This is the one-half ounce silver Year of the Dragon coin from the Royal Canadian Mint.

Comments

1. jeff72 says

Hmmm…not sure if I would have opted for one of these “birthing sets”
    ..when mine came along 15 years ago …I picked up some birth year silver eagles bullions and stored them in paper envelopes hoping they would rainbow tone .

Still haven’t parted with them …plan to some day. (I have daughters -they could care less about rainbow colored dollars) ….oh well

2. Frankie says

I know it’s not the right post, but both Gainesville and APMEX listed RED dragon coins on their websites – 1/2; 2; 5 oz and 1 kilo sizes. They look like bullion to me.
    Does anyone have more details about these?

3. Shutter says

In addition to Baby Gift set, RCM has Birthday Gift Set. Pretty much Canada has coins for almost every occasion. They haven’t yet come up with a coin for funerals and layoffs, but given time….

Also Canadian birthstone series coins will do in a pinch.

I think I would probably buy a Lunar coin instead of a birth set for relatives expecting a child, though that’s a matter of personal preference.

The footprint coin is pretty neat. Something about the UK “my first coins” set makes me laugh.

Frankie,

I have written about these varieties before. Perth has released colored versions of most sizes of their dragon coins. To the best of my knowledge, there are colored bullion two, five, and ten ounce versions, and a colored one kilo version, separate from the gemstone variety. The two ounce painted coin is identical to the recently released and sold out ANDA coin. Additionally, Perth has also released one ounce and half ounce varieties of painted proof silver dragons on their website. I forget if they did bullion painted half and one ounce painted dragons but it would not surprise me.

5. Frankie says

Thanks, CaptainOverkill!
    I came across some mintages for some of the Perth dragon coins on another website: http://www.silverlunar.com/p/perth-mint-s2-silver-lunar-mintages_29.html
    But this list doesn’t look complete to me. I haven’t found a complete one yet – anyone willing to take on that monumental task? 🙂
    I managed to snatch a 1 kilo colorized dragon from Gainesville last night – they are now sold out of all size options. APMEX haven’t started selling their allocation yet, but they do sell the 9-coin set now for $1095 (check).
    I contacted Gainesville yesterday and they mentioned these colorized coins were struck primarily for the Chinese market; i.e. there won’t be many available over here, esp. of the 10oz, 1/2 and 1 kilo coins, given their low mintages (5-7k).
    But I honestly think The Perth Mint is milking this year’s lunar design!

Frankie…I just looked at Gainesville…they still have the kilo Gemstone for sale with a maximum of 85 per order. I put 85 in my cart and they were ready to process the order….only $167,000 lol

7. Frankie says

…but they increased the premium in the meantime!
    I bought one for $1236 (wire transfer) last night when silver was trading at roughly $1.20/oz more. And there is a max. 5 per order now which was 1 per customer last night.

Frankie, I think we are talking about two different coins. Gainesville has the colored 1 kilo dragon for $1295…which I assume you bought for $1236. The limit is still 5 per order. I was referring to the 1 kilo gemstone colored dragon which has a ruby in one of the dragons eye and sales for $1975 each with a limit of 85.

9. Shutter says

Horses for Courses. It depends on what you think the new parents would prefer and how close your relationship with them is. A $100 coin is ok for a relative or a close friend, but might freak out a coworker you barely know. There a baby themed coin in newborn themed presentation may be best. No doubt this is why the other (not US) mints have put some thought and offer products at multiple price points.

Frankie, I found the following at Gainesville 1/2 oz page, I am not sure it includes the colored dragon or not.

“Limited Mintage

The mintage for the one-ounce 2012 Year of the Dragon silver bullion coin is limited to 300,000.

The mintage for the ½ ounce 2012 silver Dragon coin is limited to 500,000.

Investors and collectors should be aware that the mintage for the 10 kilo, 1 kilo, 10 oz, 5 oz, and 2 oz 2012 dragon silver coin has an unlimited mintage.”

11. Two Cents says

Samuel, I got the free-shipping. It was in a roundabout way, though.

I don’t know when the free-shipping offer was posted on their website, but when I read about it on Michael’s other blog, I emailed the Perth Mint asking if my very first order with them (Berlin Dragon) would be eligible for the free-shipping offer. (That order was charged the full price, including shipping.)

In a few short days, their Customer Service emailed me, saying that they would extend the free-shipping offer to my second order (High Relief Dragon), and sure enough, my credit card was charged only the cost of the coin, without shipping.

It seems that the Perth Mint values its customers, and puts our satisfaction at a high priority.

Two cents, thanks. my friend has emailed perthmint, and got reply in one day, promising to refund.

by the way, the high relief dragon is the first HR one in the lunar series. so i think it will perform good in the future if them make more HR lunar in the future.